Now, this is scary. What if this deluded individual becomes president? With tea party movement and anti-intellectual bible thumping industry shills like this guy getting favor, it seems the US is in the perfect position to become a straight-up fascist state. Most of the indicators are there already. I'm kinda getting freaked out. What do y'all think?

Views: 425

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, that tortoise shot was very disturbing as well.  Like a tree that grows around a rope that has been tied around it as a sapling...but, in the case of the tortoise, it's amazing how it survived to get as large as it did... it made me think of the resiliency of life under trauma, actually...deformed but tough enough to live in spite of it.

I hoped that Bush's second term so fully confirmed what we were dealing with that a backlash would occur, and hope increased with Obama's election.  Then, the midterm elections and Tea Party shocked me, swinging the pendulum back too far, too fast, after rewriting too much recent history too ridiculously.  Obama inherited so much from Bush's 8 years, there was no way to fix it in less than six, IMO.  They started shooting him down at about the one year mark, best I can recall.  They even blame Obama for Bush's first installment of funds to prop up the economy.

Extremism in dominionist religiosity grew like it was on steroids, under Bush -- particularly inside the military!  Want to talk scary?  That's where the nukes are!

The pushback from that extremism seems to have caused an atheist awakening.  (Hmmm.  I like the sound of that:  Atheist Awakening.)

I'm hoping that, by the same token, political pushback will give Obama a second chance and with a more reasonable Congress.

Yes, there is still time.  I'd be a lot more worried if the election was THIS year. 

There must be more insistence on reasonable, balanced dialogue.  Rational decision-making.  Not all this emotional, knee-jerk partisanship. Questioning somebody's 'patriotism' or sincere desire to fix this country's problems should come to an end.  This has to stop being so 'personal'.  And, like you mention, Doc,  extreme ideas percolating in the tea party can be traced back to a segment within the conservative Evangelical religious movement...no doubt about it in my mind.

I'll question GOP patriotism.  GOP leaders have done nothing since January of 2009 but try to bring down Obama and to stymie his policy initiatives.  They have an orchestrated national agenda for imposing their misguided values on the entire country, and they have realized that they can get away with just about anything with enough money on their side.
I couldn't agree more.  What kind of patriot WANTS their country to fail just long enough to get their opposing party's President out of the White House?  I thought Bush was an idiot, but I certainly didn't want our country to fail at anything!  He was still the President.

And here I am in total agreement as well...this could be the President's 'secret weapon':  show the other side how unpatriotic their actions have been and how they don't have the monopoly on being good citizens or thinking about what's best for this nation.  (They just have the monopoly $). This is simply obstructionism at its worse, in my opinion.

Demonizing the president is never a good idea but that's never stopped anybody before.  I just hope it backfires on the GOP.  This tactic is a low blow tactic.  We're in an economic crisis and the 2 sides have to come together for the good of the country...not to score political points or to defend their rigid partisan positions.  We don't have the time for these games.

Excuse me but,,,

George W. Bush never won a presidential election, the first term was given to him by his daddy's supreme court and the second was stolen with massive voter fraud in Ohio.

Not that this seems to bother enough people.

Sure bothered me!

Noticed and bothered. I remember watching debates between W. and Al Gore. Gore would just wipe the damn floor with him, repeatedly. Then the news analysts would come on afterwards and say "George Bush clearly won this debate." I am still wondering if they watched a different show than I did. Al Gore would've been great Pres. 

What blew my mind was public sentiment in the next election. Lots of people and the press viewed W. (Super rich AWOL Air National Guardsman) as working man-war hero. They viewed John Kerry (Real actual getting your ass shot at in a PT boat war hero) as a spoiled, rich deserter. Mind boggling. 

And did they ever find W's military record? Bet you a million bucks they could find mine!

I think it might be appropriate to get billboards up that compare rick perry to peter popoff, especially after this 'pray for rain' fiasco.  Sometimes I wonder how states can be so ass-backwards in 2011.
And getting worse. I'm in Alabama. Politically, everyone seems to be in a race to the bottom.
Why would Rick Perry want people to pray for rain?  Wouldn't his 'god' be doing what's best for his 'children'?  I would think their 'god' has a really good reason that we just can't understand for burning Texas?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

The Flying Atheist commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
6 minutes ago
k.h. ky replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
41 minutes ago
Joan Denoo liked John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years
53 minutes ago
Joan Denoo posted a blog post
57 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Freethinker31 commented on Freethinker31's blog post About that Bible
1 hour ago
Dr. Allan H. Clark replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
2 hours ago
Sentient Biped replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
k.h. ky replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Flying Spaghetti Monster invades heaven.
2 hours ago
k.h. ky replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
2 hours ago
Tara Toleman joined John Tidwell's group
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service