One of the criticisms of Dawkins/Hitchens/Harris is that they erect strawman, simplistic caricatures of religion which they them eloquently knock down. Despite being firmly in the 'new atheist' camp I have always felt that there was a grain of truth in the allegation. In particular the assertion that those with a religious faith who genuinely perform good and heroic deeds do so only because they are frightened of the big stick seems rather glib. So it is with interest that I saw the new book 'The Case For God' from the sophisticated religious scholar Karen Armstrong. I confess to so far only having read the introduction, but her views are well represented in several accessible places that I encourage you to read or listen to. These are

• A response in the Wall Street Journal by both Dawkins and Armstrong to the question ‘Where does evolution leave god’
• A discussion on the NPR show Fresh Air with the ever wonderful Terry Gross.
• An earlier discussion with Bill Moyers.
• I also read her very enjoyable memoir ‘The Spiral Staircase’ where she describes her flight from organized religion after leaving the convent.

The trouble is that Karen Armstrong’s conception of religion and god differs from that held by essentially all of modern Christianity, and as far as I know of Islam. She rejects any idea of the personal, interventionist god. Karen Armstrong claims that her view is true to the real history of religion and tat what we have now arose only after the 17th century. I not equipped to dispute that, though I find it rather a dubious conception. Terry Gross asks “What do you think religion is for?” and is answered “Religion is about helping us to deal with the sorrow that we see in life”. Richard Dawkins makes the most eloquent rebuttal in the final two paragraphs of the above quoted piece in the Wall Street Journal.

Armstrong criticizes Dawkins as being too strident – and that has also been aired by other atheists. That it his approach does not win friends. I heard Neal de Grasse Tyson (again with Terry Gross) espousing a similar line. Dawkins/Hitchens/Harris (and I do exempt Dennet from this) are not particularly subtle in their discourse and that is perfectly fine. I see the initial forays of the ‘New Atheist’ movement as somewhat akin to the initial stages of the women’s and the gay liberation struggles. Loud and proud. There is a place for nuanced discussion – I hope that can occur here, but that place is not right on the front lines.

Tags: armstrong, dawkins

Views: 469

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dan, You wrote a very interesting, well researched and eloquent article. I agree with your conclusion of "So it would seem that at least this batch of critics are far off base. Whatever the shortcomings of his opinions and arguments, the straw man fallacy is not one of them."

- Tim
Armstrong is a dimwit. And the problem with the new atheists not their stridency, but their willful obliviousness to sociology and history, which means once they venture beyond their specific spheres of competence they are out of their element. The sad exception is Hitchens, who knows what the rest of them do not, but who lost his mind after 9-11-01, and thus has lost the ability to deploy his arsenal of knowledge to good ends.
"which means once they venture beyond their specific spheres of competence they are out of their element" - Please give some examples
So by "lost his mind", do you mean "disagrees with you". Because with you thats what it often means.
I think that it is supremely unreasonable for people to expect atheists not to ever be rude toward religion. The attitude seems to be that if you believe religions are false you should shut up about it. But you ought to be able to affirm the validity of rational thought and affirm that cosmologies with god in them are irrational. Dawkins is not the greatest anti-religion thinker ever, but he has a nice voice and is an excellent science communicator. Karen Armstrong is to atheism what Ted Haggard is to homosexuality. She doesn't believe god exists, but wants to take shots at atheists.
I am done being polite with the religious. Religions are simplistic backward views of reality. All of them. The four horseman have not created strawmen. They are meerly pointing out that the king has no cloths. I don't think Hitchens has lost his mind either. I'm still not sure why he thinks the Iraq war was such a good idea, but I absolutley agree with him that Muslims with nukes is the single biggest threat to human existence that is present today.
agreed

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service