Is anyone pissed about the recent CNN story about Rev. Sharon Watkins and the inaugural sermon? CNN reports that "The National Prayer Service, a tradition dating back to George Washington, will include prayers, readings and hymns delivered by religious leaders spanning a diverse array of faiths."

As far I can tell, this "tradition" started in the 1930's. I'm pretty sure that the first president started his job before the 1900's, but I haven't heard anyone complain about the exaggeration! It's as bad as being a xtian nation.

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Michael Newdow covers this in his suit against Chief Justice Roberts, which you can find at http://mnatheists.org/images/stories/Newdow_v_Roberts_Lawsuit.pdf.

103. That “so help me God” was added to the presidential oath by George Washington is a myth. There is no contemporaneous account supporting this claim, which was first made in 1854, (in Griswold RW. The Republican Court: American Society in the Days of Washington) apparently on the basis of a recollection of Washington Irving. Irving was six years old in 1789, when the first inaugural was held. A historical claim based upon nothing but the alleged recollection of a six year old, first made more than six decades later, is of highly questionable validity. Combined with the fact that Irving’s report of where he was standing during the inauguration would have made it impossible for him to have heard the oath at all, that validity falls to zero.

104. In fact, it isn’t until 1881, ninety-two years after George Washington’s initial ceremony, that the first use of the “so help me God” phrase can be verified. That occurred when Vice President Chester A. Arthur took the oath upon hearing of President James Garfield’s death.39

105. The phrase, if used at all during the next half century, was apparently used only intermittently until 1933, at President Franklin Roosevelt’s first inauguration. (It is known that neither President Herbert Hoover nor Chief Justice William Howard Taft used those words at Hoover’s inauguration in 1929.40)

106. Since 1933, “so help me God” has been used at every public inaugural ceremony, with that unauthorized alteration interposed each time by the Chief Justice of the United States.41
Hi,
Generally leaders are elected on the basis of adult fanchise according to constitutional law for the welfare of the contry's people. So, politics is the base of any country.

Snoreta

Drug Intervention Massachusetts
I have no problems with politics in general. It's the way groups get along.

My problem is when someone makes a statement that is misleading/incorrect and no one questions the "fact." It seems that anything that appears in print is accepted without question, especially by the very organization that does the printing! Why aren't these "facts" called into question immediately? The more these facts are repeated, the more they become "common knowledge." It's similar to the "fact" that America was established as a christian nation.

Tony

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service