A page on Facebook posted a link to this photo today:

Naturally, a little argument ensued. People were complaining about how Jesus was shown here (obviously), and other people fired back that it was true, etc. you know the drill. Anyway, someone said they were getting tired of seeing "atheist shit" on the page, and asked what was wrong if you just believe in God, and you're not using it for money or power, or whatever. I told him and anyone else listening that since the religious get to post things about what they believe and how they think, then nonbelievers should have the right to express their thoughts as well. Another person came in and told me that this was not an opinion, this was simply trolling, and if he insulted my beliefs I'd get mad. I told him it really should not be a big deal.

I come back an hour or so later and a few more people have responded. The previous person posted as well. He said, "But it's really offensive saying that someone important to someone's faith is a myth. I hear atheists and agnostics talk about how Christians should be more tolerant of other people's beliefs, but when it comes to our beliefs, they're usually very intolerant. If I even mention how I believe homosexuality is a choice and how I believe it's wrong, they start cursing at me and calling me bigoted."

Now, I am quite through dealing with the people on that thread, as they will only drive me insane. But how could I explain? Christians hate on atheists and other beliefs quite often. They still ask that we respect them, but how? How can someone expect me to respect their disrespect?

Tags: myths, religion, respect

Views: 1619

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I tell them to read the entire buybull, just the way they would read any other book...starting on page 1, and reading to the end.  That was what killed my own "faith" once and for all.  It's all totally preposterous; why did ghod need to use a man's rib to make a woman when he made the whole universe out of nothing?  Or why did he make the man out of dirt?  Not very ennobling, is it?

I'd rather share my DNA with an ape-like creature.

Have you read the Chumash or the Torah?  According my Chumash, Adam and Eve were joined at the back and G'd took an ax and split them in half.

MB....your point is well taken...However you will never engage a religious person in a respectful debate on their beliefs.

@MB...Have you ever had a logical discussion with a xian?

MB - When have you had the best exchange of ideas, when the exchange was exhilarating and fun? I think the best, most rewarding exchange is between two equals of different opinions. This is probably the best way to get theists to accept that asking questions is a good thing.
I respect people because of how they BEHAVE, not because of what they BELIEVE. Why should I respect people who essentially believe in a Cosmic Santa Claus? What about that is respectable? That poster is correct, today's religion becomes tomorrow's half-forgotten myth, only to be replaced by some other religion that will come and go like all the rest. I do not know why humanity insists on clinging to the same old outdated, useless mythical memes (virgin births, resurrections, etc.), but they do, and those of us with brains have to live with them. I get sick of religious crap on my Facebook page, but they never worry about that. It is all about THEM and the nonsense that they want us to unthinkingly accept, like toddlers accepting that a jolly fat man gives them presents each year. That is not respectable.

"I respect people because of how they BEHAVE, not because of what they BELIEVE."

YES. Honestly I don't really mind what someone's beliefs are, it's how they act that determines what i think of them. That's why it makes me angry when people pass judgment on me when they find out I don't believe in god, instead of, you know, remembering the good times, or just getting to know me.

What has being offended by the never ending torrent of religious crap gotten you?

Does the fact that the religious person is disrespectful and not respectable give your the right to do the same? If you think you are a better person than them, why don't you show them?

I personally have zero respect for the religious, they spread their myths and superstitious nonsense as the truth and indoctrinate children before the age of reason, I believe this is child abuse, The religious are arrogant , bigoted and prejudiced. There is no good in their ignorance and violence. I was born a non-believer, something to do with an advanced evolutionary person. I went to catholic school for the first 7 years all the while attending Sunday school at the baptist church. I just knew it was all bullshit from a very early age, form my schooling and Sunday school I should be a true believer. I am not and never was. 

I have NO RESPECT FOR IRRATIONAL BELIEF ... PERIOD.

Any respect I have for believers will be in direct proportion to their respect for me and their abstinence from any attempt to convert me or subvert the government in favor of their hallucination.

I don't see that I'm being horribly unreasonable here....

I agree with you, doubly so. religious are child molesters for indoctrinating children who haven't reached the age of reason.

I consider it child abuse...not necessarily molestation, which (although that's not the only definition) could have a sexual connotation.  With respect to the indoctrination, I'd have to say they're child abusers because they are teaching their kids what to believe, not how to think.  Molestation would be another issue because it seems to me like every time you hear about some kid having being sexually abused for years and years, there's some religious parent, relative, priest, boy scout leader or something like that involved.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service