A page on Facebook posted a link to this photo today:

Naturally, a little argument ensued. People were complaining about how Jesus was shown here (obviously), and other people fired back that it was true, etc. you know the drill. Anyway, someone said they were getting tired of seeing "atheist shit" on the page, and asked what was wrong if you just believe in God, and you're not using it for money or power, or whatever. I told him and anyone else listening that since the religious get to post things about what they believe and how they think, then nonbelievers should have the right to express their thoughts as well. Another person came in and told me that this was not an opinion, this was simply trolling, and if he insulted my beliefs I'd get mad. I told him it really should not be a big deal.

I come back an hour or so later and a few more people have responded. The previous person posted as well. He said, "But it's really offensive saying that someone important to someone's faith is a myth. I hear atheists and agnostics talk about how Christians should be more tolerant of other people's beliefs, but when it comes to our beliefs, they're usually very intolerant. If I even mention how I believe homosexuality is a choice and how I believe it's wrong, they start cursing at me and calling me bigoted."

Now, I am quite through dealing with the people on that thread, as they will only drive me insane. But how could I explain? Christians hate on atheists and other beliefs quite often. They still ask that we respect them, but how? How can someone expect me to respect their disrespect?

Tags: myths, religion, respect

Views: 1564

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

brovo!!! very well put.

this is why I dont comment more. there are so many more that put it very well.

I can't respect dumb.  I don't just tell most religious people that is dumb, I'm just subtle about it.
Hi guys, thanks for the replies ^^

I suppose there's no way for everyone to truly get along as far as the religion/respect/whatever goes. It's just...hmm, how do I say it? I don't mind if someone believes in something, it's when they start saying silly stuff and acting mean that I don't like it. But...wouldn't they consider that picture to be saying silly things and acting mean to them? I don't even know.

I guess the point is that you can't please everyone! :3
Nothing is sacred to an atheist! ha
I see a big difference between respecting a belief -- which I really don't do -- and respecting the sensitivity of an individual.  People are very connected to their beliefs, and rely on them (not on the truth of them; merely on their believing. "Mom & Pop are together in heaven" sort of thing).  So I try not to insult them.  At least not first.  But I do feel it's pretty odd that every other religion that ever existed was fake, made up by people, but theirs is real, handed down by (ther) god.
I kinda like the stunned look on their faces if you say something like "you wouldn't be a christian if you'd been born in Iran, Iraq, etc"  or "would you give or let your kids have a horrible disease for ANY reason if you could stop it?"  "of course not" "then you're a better parent than 'god'".  No answer except sometimes stuff like "well we can't know gods plan, we're just human".  I wouldn't want to know any 'god' like theirs.
Right, exactly!

I wana see the FSM on that post card too!

;)

I sometimes tell people that I respect their right to believe whatever makes them feel good, but I don't have to respect what they believe. Because I can't.  I tried for years, and I just can't. (And I feel better now.)

Or, this oldie:

Do you beleve in Zeus?

No!

Do you believe in Isis and Ra?

NO!

Do you believe in Baal?

Absolutely NOT!!

Well, I just believe in one less god than you do.

There's also (Ted) Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crap. 

Good post sk8eycat.  Totally agree agree with you.

sk8eycat, that reminds me of a routine by the late, great George Carlin.

Man: "Do you believe in god?"

Man 2: "No"

Man: Pulls out a gun - Bang!  Man 2's dead.

Man: "Do you believe in god?

Man 3: "Yes"

Man: "Do you believe in my god?" 

Man 3: "No."

Man: Pulls out a gun - Bang!  Man 3's dead.

And the reason?

Man: "My god has a bigger dick than your god!"

*Snorrrrrrrttttt!*  I've heard or seen almost all of George Carlin's routines, but never that one.  WONderful!

It also reminds me of a filksong (that IS the correct spelling) that used to be very popular at SF conventions:

My god's better than your god,

My god's better than yours.

My god's better 'cause she's got eight tits. (Or any other bizarre attribute)

My god's better than yours!

Sung to the tune of the very long-running Ken-L-Ration dog food commercial.

There were so many variations that the stupid thing could go on all night if people were silly (and/or drunk) enough to tolerate it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service