Resolved: Atheists Are More Cat People Than Dog People

Having co-habited with many cats over the years, I've found them to be free-thinking and inquisitive, like atheists. Dogs seem to be more accepting, more willing to go along. I think this accounts for the fact that atheists tend to favor cats over dogs. (I'm not saying atheists hate dogs--just that we're better attuned to cats.) Comments?

Tags: atheists, cats, dogs, pets

Views: 2344

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thankfully, I've never heard of anyone having an allergy to fish.
Well I have, but only to eating them.
Since the link has scrolled off the current page, cat lovers may be interested in the Atheist Ailurophiles group here on Atheist Nexus.
Just by people adding comments. It's still there, it's just not on this page.
I used to be a cat person, and of the opinion that people were either cat-persons or dog-persons. I appreciated the low-maintenance nature of cats, and disliked the over-eager tendency of dogs to share their drool and whatever happened to be stuck to their feet at the moment.

But I think a lot of it has to do with the particular animal (and breed) in question. I've since gotten a really terrific Jack Russell Terrier who sheds like mad but doesn't drool or paw me muddy, and I've met some really psycho cats who will cuddle for a while and then bite viciously with no warning. As with anything else, it's important to find compatible individuals.
Connor was just remarking the other day that he generally thinks of cats as girls and dogs as boys. I'm going to have to go with the scientific evidence that this is simply not true, though it seems to be a common perception, based on observed behavior. Cats do seem more stereotypically feminine, alternating between mysteriously aloof and cuddly, whereas dogs seem more stereotypically masculine, all charged up and slobbery rarin' to go. I'm sure if they had opposable thumbs, cats would play with dolls and dogs would play with action figures. Instead, they both seem to indiscriminately chew the heads and limbs off of either. An altogether endearing tendency in itself, actually.
Someone said there are two types of people - people who think there are two types of people, and people who don't
I'm an animal person in general. But I absolutely love dogs and am very intune with them. I raised pitbull's for the entirety of my life until recently when living arrangements and such made it impossible. I was very depressed over this fact until recently when I moved into this house with my friend. He has an almost two-year-old English Mastif and I love her so much! Her name is Jasmine and great company. She weighs 150 pounds, meaning she outweighs me by about five pounds. :D I'm gonna have to post some pictures.
Agreed 100%
I am a cat lover and have always had cats. Cats are definitely monotheistic. More autotheistic, they think they are god. Dogs are definitely pantheistic, they think everything else is a god. You, a tree, a ball, a fence post whatever.
BTW- My 2 cats are named Zeus and Anubis and the dog is Summer
I am a dog person. I grew up with dogs, cats and birds, though. The only reason I haven't had a dog in 14 years is that 1. we travel too much and 2. my husband (who is also an atheist) is a cat person. I like cats. I like that they're self-sufficient. To me, though, dogs are just more huggable. I do love them, but I do find them a bit more like children in their co-dependence (and we don't have children by choice). However, I think cats are equally co-dependent - they just don't want you to think how much they need you (and not just for food). LoL!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service