Resolved: Atheists Are More Cat People Than Dog People

Having co-habited with many cats over the years, I've found them to be free-thinking and inquisitive, like atheists. Dogs seem to be more accepting, more willing to go along. I think this accounts for the fact that atheists tend to favor cats over dogs. (I'm not saying atheists hate dogs--just that we're better attuned to cats.) Comments?

Tags: atheists, cats, dogs, pets

Views: 2211

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting question.  I prefer dogs (and horses).  I don't dislike cats but I don't enjoy the birds etc they kill and leave on the back porch.  That being said, my dog of choice is Scottish Terriers and they are a very independent, self reliant breed that has their own opinion about things.  They are not the "I'll do whatever you say" type of dogs.  Maybe that is why I like them.

Of course I'm not criticising your preferences here... only the factoid about cats killing birds. Yes cats kill birds, but they kill way less birds than humanity does, so I do get ticked when anti-cat people point out the bird factoid. And you're not alone in this. I have many many friends who are cat haters and use the bird example constantly. I just wish people would put bird deaths into perspective. Cats generally make a killing when humans are attracting birds to feeders. Humans cause changes in bird populations, sometimes causing an increase (sparrows, field birds and small raptors), but overall a decrease. I'm the organiser of field trips for my local bird club, so I hear this a lot from people... here's to wishing I hear it less in the future.

I feel compelled to tell you that I am not a cat hater. I have owned cats that lived long happy lives with me in the past. I could not agree with you more about humanity being the problem with the decline in birds. I do not choose to have a cat now because I feel less sad in any given day not dealing with normal feline appropriate behaviors i.e. killing birds, mice, rabbits, squirrels and so on. I don't watch tv shows about lions eating zebras for the same reason. I am a vegetarian for the same reason. I do not hate lions for eating zebras. It is the nature of the world we live in. It was one of the reasons I became an atheist. I could not believe that a loving god would intentionally create such a place. I am glad there are people like yourself who are willing and able to speak the truth for whatever animal who has no voice of their own. I prefer dogs however if a cat ever comes to me in need it will be treated with love and respect. And I won't put up a bird feeder. ;)

Russell, that was way too cute and funny.  At least this overweight pooch is getting his exercise and having fun at it.  You won't see this with a cat.

Bumped into the present!

Our dogs are always in-your-face, happy, sloppy, boisterous, friendly, jumpy.  Our cat is aloof, neat, a bit skittish but can hold her own with the dogs.  On very rare occasions, when it is cold, she will cuddle up to a warm dog.  We had to stop having a litter box insider because they ate her special "contributions".

Then there's the 5 hens.  They give us delicious, nutritious eggs every day.  They come running when I visit their coop.  They eat bugs and slugs.  They make lots of chicken manure that becomes lots of rich fertile compost, that becomes tasty organic vegetables and beautiful flowers.  Technically, the chickens are better companions than dogs or cats, but they are not house broken so have to stay outside.

Then there's the 60,000 honeybees and who knows how  many earthworms, which also contribute much....  

But I still love the dogs and cat.

I've loved dogs - that's how I became so allergic to them.  But I don't especially see the point of cats.

I'm a dog person.  They are loving and devoted,protective of their family and better than any burglar alarm you can get.  I owned a cat once.  It left me for a place less than half a mile away to live with other cats.  I brought it back home a couple of times.  The owner of the cathouse, pun intended, said she would be happy to let him stay.  So the next time he left I let him stay.

I like cats more than dogs.

They are more independent that dogs from my experience. 

They only ask for food but nothing else.

You can say they are boring, but for me their cuteness is overwhelming. 

Definitely a doggy dog.

The only time I ever enjoyed cat was in a pie!

:-D~

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service