Resolved: Atheists Are More Cat People Than Dog People

Having co-habited with many cats over the years, I've found them to be free-thinking and inquisitive, like atheists. Dogs seem to be more accepting, more willing to go along. I think this accounts for the fact that atheists tend to favor cats over dogs. (I'm not saying atheists hate dogs--just that we're better attuned to cats.) Comments?

Tags: atheists, cats, dogs, pets

Views: 2217

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Brad, your dog is beautiful too!  That's so cool that she runs with you while you bike.  Our Lab, 9 years, won't even walk on a leash properly and gets extremely nervous riding in a car. lol.  The older she gets, the more anxiety!  We love her a lot though and she is a big baby!

What a beautiful dog! I've had several shepherds and shepherd mixes over the years—Michael, Jette, Weierstrass, and Bandit—and they were all intelligent companions. They learn quickly. You're right to exercise her as much as you can. That will calm her down.

I like large breeds even though they don't live as long. When Baxter's predecessor (Bandit) died at the animal oncology center here, fifteen family members and friends came to see him off. The vet said that when she dies she wants to come back as our dog—she had never seen a dog with so many people attached.

Bandit even made the newspapers once. A teenager took him to her girls softball game at the high school while I was traveling. He sat patiently with her team while she pitched, but when someone hit a grounder, Bandit fielded it. The umpire was at a loss how to call the play. "Too many men" didn't seem to quite suit the situation.

What a great story about Bandit!!  TOO Cute!!!

Hee!  That ball was too much temptation.  I use a ball chucker and two tennis balls with Meeka.  As soon as she's back with one ball, the next one is launched.  It tires her relatively quickly and she loves it.

Reading about saving Baxter brought tears to my eyes.

I wish more people would rescue dogs. Shelters have time limit for keeping animals before they euthanize them. There are so many who need homes.

One of my friends, an older gentleman, waited too long. He went to the shelter and had his eye on a dog, but couldn't make up his mind. When he went back to get her she was gone.

Everyone told me to wait six months before getting another dog, but I got Baxter three weeks after Bandit died and have never regretted it.

Wylie lived in a barn with a breeder for a year and wasn't used to people.  When we got him home and flushed the toilet he hightailed it behind the TV/Entertainment setup and got entangled in all the wires. He was very paranoid and if I took him for a walk and people were behind us, he would walk backwards to see what they were doing. I'd have to stop and let them pass so he could walk normally. His safest spot in the house is halfway up the stairs - huge dog barely fitting on a step. We have gotten used to stepping over him. 

With us he is very loving and playful and after three years he has lost most of his paranoia of other people.

Meeka spent most of her first year on a short line on a back porch and so had very limited experience of the world.  The first time I brought her home, she was fearful of everything.  I had to coax her up the steps to our living room, literally one step at a time.  Then, when she got to the top, she saw that the TV was on, tucked her tail, and ran back down.

She's much more relaxed now and, although we're still working on some issues, she seems to be a happy dog.

It looks as though she knows how to make herself comfortable.

It takes time, but they do respond to loving treatment. He looks very nice in this picture—a good coat on him.

The pug, Rocky, that we had before Meeka, was almost fearless.  When there was thunder, he had a territorial response.  He would face the direction it was coming from and bark at it, advancing a step with each bark.

When we had our first major thunderstorm of the year last month, I was curious to see how Meeka would react.  She barely seemed to notice it at all, which was nice to see.

Bandit was fearless too. I used to take him to the dog park. Once a man came in with his three dogs who went after Bandit. Bandit took them all down one by one.

My neighbor had a nasty toy poodle that bit nearly everyone in the community, including the dogs. He bit Bandit in the leg and Bandit had him on his back with feet in the air in a minute.

He was gentle with children—they could step on his tail and he would just nudge them away.

We don't get thunderstorms often, but we do have earthquakes and Bandit gave an early warning, running around barking furiously.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service