Resolved: Atheists Are More Cat People Than Dog People

Having co-habited with many cats over the years, I've found them to be free-thinking and inquisitive, like atheists. Dogs seem to be more accepting, more willing to go along. I think this accounts for the fact that atheists tend to favor cats over dogs. (I'm not saying atheists hate dogs--just that we're better attuned to cats.) Comments?

Tags: atheists, cats, dogs, pets

Views: 2295

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not me.   I love dogs.  Don't hate cats, but prefer dogs. 

They are both (dog and cats) good companions James.

I always thought of myself as a cat person only.  Then we got a Lab and now I am also a dog person.  I will always be a cat person first though! lol.  I told my husband when we got married that I would ALWAYS have a cat or 2 or 3.  Just thought he should know beforehand!~ Melinda

Very thoughtful that you warned him Melinda. :)

I usually take a Darwinian position on this stuff.  Let’s look at the question from a naturalistic perspective.  

Ever notice that many of history’s rebels and introspective leaders were cat lovers?  Lenin, Napoleon, even Che Guevara.  That’s because felines are usually solo hunters, stealthy and sneaky.  Canines on the other hand are pack hunters.  So they have to know how to get along in the social group, learn the pecking order and follow commands. 

So whether you’re a dog or cat person says a lot about your personality.  My old Dalmatian, Maximillion Spots, would practically start crying when we had to leave him alone in the big house.  But a cat, when you leave it alone couldn’t give a damn. 

In sum, if you’re a “people person” you tend to be a dog person.  But if you an independent, introspective type, you tend to be cat person.  Fun question. 

I'm a cat person - and that explains my personality very well. Thank you Richard. Very insightful!

LOL

Oh I love that booklover!

I believe the answer is yes because, as others no doubt point out, cats are independent and freethinkers.  A cat won't come over, pant, lift your hand onto their head, and so forth; any such obsequious behavior is beneath the dignity of a cat.

correction, cats do those behaviours plenty... well not the panting part!

I love those pics James!

People, cats aren't freethinkers; they're not thinkers.  They're generally more independent than dogs purely through an accident of evolution. 

Some here have been describing dogs as "codependent" (hey, the '80s called and they want their pop psychology back) but what you might want to think about is the likelihood that humans and dogs have co-evolved.  We have quite clearly affected their evolution and they've been with us long enough that it seems somewhat reasonable to think that they've also affected our evolution.

I've had cats and I've loved them dearly.  I've had fewer dogs but I've found them to be better companions.  If you prefer to take it easy and to not be required to do much about the relationship between you and your animal companion, then a cat is probably better for you.  Or maybe a goldfish.

My dog needs to be taken for regular walks and runs; a cat has no such requirement.  Consequently, I'm in much better physical condition with a dog than without one.  My dog loves to run beside me as I peddle my mountain bike through trails in the forest and it's a great feeling for me when she's running beside me on a straight stretch -- not behind, not in front, but by my side.

In contradiction of the caricatures presented by some cat advocates, most dogs are not selfless, slobbering slaves (they're not all Golden Retrievers -- some are Pugs, German Shepherds, and so on).  They have their independent needs and desires.  However, they also have loyalty and social instincts and they balance those two aspects of themselves, largely in accordance with the knowledge and wisdom of their humans.

Cats have dignity?  Can you say "anthropomorphism"?  I knew you could!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service