Resolved: Atheists Are More Cat People Than Dog People

Having co-habited with many cats over the years, I've found them to be free-thinking and inquisitive, like atheists. Dogs seem to be more accepting, more willing to go along. I think this accounts for the fact that atheists tend to favor cats over dogs. (I'm not saying atheists hate dogs--just that we're better attuned to cats.) Comments?

Tags: atheists, cats, dogs, pets

Views: 2292

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I don't know about red setters but I've read that afghan hounds are the least intelligent of the recognized breeds.
A few days ago, CNN ran an article on their front page entitled, "How are dog people and cat people different?"

The articles reports on a recent study by the University of Texas at Austin, which claims the following:

It turns out that the "dog people"--based on how people identified themselves, not on what animals they actually own--tend to be more social and outgoing, whereas "cat people" tend to be more neurotic
Here's the article.

What Mr. Spagnolo left out is "whereas "cat people" tend to be more neurotic but 'open,' which means creative, philosophical, or nontraditional in this context."

Cat people might enjoy the Nexus group Atheist Ailurophiles, while Even Heathens Loved Their Pets seems to be where dog people congregate.
I also left out the mention of a crazy cat lady.
Hate cats... HATE!
My little sister has a cat and it's obsessed with me. I'm frightened for my life. It sits in front of my computer screen and stares at me. Just sits there. I can't do anything to make it move. It just sits and stares... *Shudders*

I like dogs because they're fun ^.^ They're all "I'm a dog! Yay!" Cats, on the other hand, are all "I'm a cat. Fuck off." They're so boring. The only active cats I've ever met are kittens.

Did you know the cat was there before you saw the picture?  Or, am I on candid camera?

I personally hate cats.
I don't think animals are either way. I think your hypothesis is just you projecting your own personality onto your pets. I personally hate cats. They serve no practical perpose for me. They don't sound off if an intruder in around (either in the yard or in the home). They can't help you hunt for game animals. I have a dog because it suits my personality. I hunt deer and other game, I like to know if someone comes up (even if I didn't hear them), and I like a pet that knows when to do his own thing and when I have time to play. I think it has to do with the person and nothing to do with the animal.
I call my cat a catdog. he comes to his name and he loves to be petted. He's just as affectionate as any dog. He also isn't very bright. I've had smart cats and dumb cats. Give me a dumb cat any day over a smarter one. My dumb cat doesn't cause me a seconds heartache. He never gets into anything. He never brings home anything dead, because he's too dumb to figure out how to kill anything. He never sprints out the door when I open it. He doesn't try to get into the full bag of cat food instead of eating what's in his bowl. He has no idea how to flush the toilet. I had a Siamese who spent her entire day flushing the toilet while I was at work. Thank goodness water was included in the rent!

On the other hand, my husband's cat is intelligent. She's always trying to get out and figure stuff out. Whereas, my cat gets really happy if you play Teletubbies for him.

IMO, dogs need walks and are a lot of work. Smart cats are always trying to figure stuff out. The best pet is the dumbest cat I can find. My big ole lovable, teddy bear, dummy of a cat is the best cat ever.

My dad used to say dogs were godly because dog is god spelled backward. yeah...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service