Resolved: Atheists Are More Cat People Than Dog People

Having co-habited with many cats over the years, I've found them to be free-thinking and inquisitive, like atheists. Dogs seem to be more accepting, more willing to go along. I think this accounts for the fact that atheists tend to favor cats over dogs. (I'm not saying atheists hate dogs--just that we're better attuned to cats.) Comments?

Tags: atheists, cats, dogs, pets

Views: 2415

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it depends on the cat. Mine is a total momma's boy, since he follows me around the house no matter what I'm doing, and gets really upset with me when I'm gone for more than a day...

Sounds like a nice cat!

What a sweet cat you have Kate.

I've had both cats and dogs and I think that animals are atheistic in nature. They live in the now: reality. They are not caught up on who's god is better, "holy" crap, ghosts, or any of that BS. They just try to live their life, they get mad, sad, glad, hungry, naturally curious, in tune with nature, like a normal human being should.
Actually cats do kill for pleasure. I have had cats all my life ( currently have 3, plus 1 dog) and they are all well fed and want for nothing but given the opportunity they will catch and kill small rabbits, mice, birds... They do not eat their prey, because they are not hungry. They even seem to relive the thrill of the hunt and kill.. it is for pleasure. This doesn't make them evil or on par with humans, just cats.. it's in their nature.

Good point, atheist animals living in the now.

Apparently you have never been in a relationship with a greyhound...at least not my greyhounds. They make cats look like emotional basket cases.

But I luv'em anyway!
Love cats! So independent and free-willed. I like dogs, but cats are my choice. I can leave them on their own for a couple of days. Of course, they're mad at me when I get home!
I love dogs and cats. I have only lived with cats because I lived with people who have them. I always loved the cats more than I loved the people who owned them.

I always have the desire to own a cat myself (what did I say above?). But I have a problem, My ADD is profound enough that it has made my house keeping difficult, and cats play with everything on site.

Dogs have many qualities that are harder too see in other animals. They love to stay around people unless there were bad experiences. They let you know that they want to play, they are vigilant, and they make good companions.

When you listen to joke people have about their cats, you can see much of what they are thinking about.
I dislike cats. Of course that has a lot to do with me being very allergic. I find them cute to look at but icky to be near. Even if I weren't allergic I would prefer dogs over cats although my reaction probably wouldn't be as severe.

I had a Basenji that could match any cat ever in aloofness and rebelliousness. I would say that I'm actually more attuned to dogs because it's easier to figure out what they are "thinking" :)
I also dislike cats,but will make exceptions for a friendly indoor only cat.
I also like dogs,if they are not let outside to bark their brains out 24/7.
Most of my life,however,my main pets have been birds and various species of rodents.
And I challenge you to 1) drop the CAPS, thankuverymuch! and 2) acknowledge that tastes in companions and the nature of those companions are as different as the breeds of animals we trend toward.

Personally, I grew up with dogs: two German short-hair pointers and at least one Hungarian Vizla, terrific animals, all of them. Then, too, we lived in houses large enough to accommodate such animals. As an adult living in an apartment, I started out with a cat adopted by my roommate, then added another downstream before she and I parted ways. Those cats are as memorable to me as the two I lived with while I was married or the three I currently live with.

I have related elsewhere the greyhounds my mother has owned over the past 15 or so years, their gentle good nature and companionship. None of them were or are anything like a cat, really, but I value their presence and friendship as surely as I do that of my cats. If I don't own a dog right now, it owes mostly to the logistics of my current residence and the contents of my wallet or lack thereof.

I will insist that cats and dogs each have their own virtues, said virtues indeed varying with what specific breed of feline or canine you care to specify. I enjoy both for the qualities which give them their own identities and personalities and would no more expect a dog to act like a cat than I would expect YOU to act like me.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service