Resolved: Atheists Are More Cat People Than Dog People

Having co-habited with many cats over the years, I've found them to be free-thinking and inquisitive, like atheists. Dogs seem to be more accepting, more willing to go along. I think this accounts for the fact that atheists tend to favor cats over dogs. (I'm not saying atheists hate dogs--just that we're better attuned to cats.) Comments?

Tags: atheists, cats, dogs, pets

Views: 2332

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not a chance. Last I looked, this is the Water Cooler, specifically a discussion regarding whether atheists are more cat or dog people. I submit that there is no necessary correlation and provide myself as an example of one who enjoys cats and dogs both for their unique and enjoyable qualities. If others have their own preferences, I will not disabuse them.

You talking to yourself, Loren?

Mostly I WAS talking to someone whose input has since disappeared from A/N, Ruth.  It happens now and again....

Was it a crazy cat lady, Loren?

(joking)

Actually, if memory serves ... yes, it was!

I still don't understand the point of cats if they're going to be so independent and have their own life. It's like having a roommate and not a pet.
I guess some dogs are needier than others. Mine is pretty independent.
I agree with you 100% on everything except the loyalty of cats. My cat Creature I've had for 14 years. If I'm downstairs he's ON me. He follows me around. He's so protective. If I go upstairs (I live in the 'in-law' suite of my father's house) where the computers are he HOWLS like he's dying. My other two cats are okay just being around, more like 'normal' cats, but Creature is a man all his own.

I found my dad's poodle to be very draining. He was all play play play play and drool drool. He was a tongue with feet. I couldn't handle that. I like throwing the toy, but once it gets covered in dog slobber it isn't fun anymore. My dad had to put him to sleep a couple of months ago. It broke my heart. I really liked this dog, but I prefer cats.

And what is that saying? "Trying to organize Atheists is like herding cats."
Thanks ;-) Creature was named by my cat Athena. When I first got him she followed him around the house at a distance like he was something from outer space.
I wouldn't say cats can't be loyal...my childhood cat used to come rubbing against my knee, mewing with the most distressed look, whenever I cried after a fight with my parents or bro. He would put his paw on my knee and rub his face on my cheek then lean back to see if I'd smiled yet. While he liked my family, if I called him, he would come running every time, even from outside...but he only came for the family if they bribed him with cheese.
I taught all three of our cats before mine to beg like a dog for their meals, just because someone told me I couldn't teach a cat tricks. And these cats were feral, too timid to let me touch them, but at a hand gesture or voice command, they would sit on their hind legs and mew every time.
I also had a dog before the military, beautiful Rottriever, and he was loyal and sweet, but never seemed to grow past the childish excited boisterous display of affection that scared my friends. My bro trained both our dogs to obey voice commands instantly without having to yell. But on walks on or off leash they have to have constant attention to keep them on the strait and narrow.
Cats can be ignored, or loved on, and they respond equally well to both.
The fact that cats are independent is what makes them good pets for people who live in the city or who (like me) spend a lot of time not home. All you need to do for a cat is provide food, water and change the litter box. As much as I love dogs, I could never one because owning a dog is not unlike having a young child - you need to be there all the time and provide everything for them. Like Rosco mentioned, when a cat decides to show you affection it really means something since they're taking time out of their own lives to love you. Even my own cat, who I've already said is a momma's boy, really only shows it when he feels like it. If I spend extended amounts of time at home, then I'm lucky to get a sidewards glance...
definitely a cat person.
i was joking around with my sister that dogs are like wine. things like breed, pedigree, and training matter immensely just as with wines things like region, style and grape matter immensely. i was raised with seeing eye dogs since my mother is totally blind so i was always used to the best of the best. i thought that i could go either way with dogs or cats. then i was around other people's dogs and for the most part they are untrained and spoiled. there are few things that annoy me more than an untrained dog outside of the untrained dog's owner complaining about cats. so to close the analogy if i had only drank screaming eagle wine at home once every few years it would be nothing short of repellent to then be served gallo everywhere when i went out.
i have two cats and am very happy with them.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service