Resolved: Atheists Are More Cat People Than Dog People

Having co-habited with many cats over the years, I've found them to be free-thinking and inquisitive, like atheists. Dogs seem to be more accepting, more willing to go along. I think this accounts for the fact that atheists tend to favor cats over dogs. (I'm not saying atheists hate dogs--just that we're better attuned to cats.) Comments?

Tags: atheists, cats, dogs, pets

Views: 2432

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love both but it really depends on the particular animal. There are many pros and cons to both. I am naturally a little lazy so it's easier for me to clean a litter box then take a dog out daily and also clean up there much nastier crap. Dogs can be taught tricks which can be quite entertaining, they can be wrestled with (bigger dogs at least), they listen to commands much better and are generally easier to train. Where cats clean themselves so you don't have to bathe or brush them, some listen to commands (like mine), they can be quite fun to play with although you can't really wrestle
with them and they tend to get sick of being pet eventually and walk away. Personally I prefer my cat because I'm always busy and don't have time to take care of a dog daily. However I will eventually get a dog for my son because my cat wants nothing to do with him and he loves to lay on dogs and pet them.
I actually have never thought about that, but I am definitely a cat person. That's a very insightful intuitive leap you've made there. If I had the resources I'd do a formal study, but since I don't I just say Bravo!
Wait a minute. Listen to Frank first! :)

Frank wins it for the dogs!

I like both cats and dogs but I'm more interested in dogs because dogs are more interested in me. It is the cat's nature to expect to be adored. It is the dog's nature to adore me. Dogs win, hands down. Y'see, I'm an unrepentant egomaniac.

Kona and Hilo dissect God, ice fishing, and Thomas Haden Church.
I'm definitely much more in tune with dogs than cats. Dogs respond to my attention much better than cats do. I enjoy engaging them in light roughhousing, fighting over a piece of rope, and other such things. It feels like there's much more of a bonding that takes place. Being single the vast majority of my adult life, it fills a void to care for another being. When I can afford to keep a dog again, I plan on having at least one.

Cats don't want to be cared for or played with nearly as much. More power to those who prefer them, like my dad (a Catholic).
While I don't dislike cats most of them tend to dislike me. Plus, being born with a doberman guarding me gives me a bit of an affinity to them. Well that, and my mom and grandma were dog lovers. Also, I can only recall one dog that didn't like me (and she was my own, oddly enough), whilst I can't count the number of cats that didn't care for me.

Since I'm young and unoccupied right now it might just be I still have the energy to enjoy the active relationships dogs are often known for.

Aesthetically I find cats more appealing than dogs, but even they lose to snakes.
I hate both!
Brave man.
Well, I don't know about red setters but I've read that afghan hounds are the least intelligent of the recognized breeds.
A few days ago, CNN ran an article on their front page entitled, "How are dog people and cat people different?"

The articles reports on a recent study by the University of Texas at Austin, which claims the following:

It turns out that the "dog people"--based on how people identified themselves, not on what animals they actually own--tend to be more social and outgoing, whereas "cat people" tend to be more neurotic
Here's the article.

What Mr. Spagnolo left out is "whereas "cat people" tend to be more neurotic but 'open,' which means creative, philosophical, or nontraditional in this context."

Cat people might enjoy the Nexus group Atheist Ailurophiles, while Even Heathens Loved Their Pets seems to be where dog people congregate.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service