Resolved: Atheists Are More Cat People Than Dog People

Having co-habited with many cats over the years, I've found them to be free-thinking and inquisitive, like atheists. Dogs seem to be more accepting, more willing to go along. I think this accounts for the fact that atheists tend to favor cats over dogs. (I'm not saying atheists hate dogs--just that we're better attuned to cats.) Comments?

Tags: atheists, cats, dogs, pets

Views: 2296

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cats are also suburban and rural, and expect others to scoop their boxes (unless they go outside).... and I don't quite "get" the emasculated bit... but other than those, very funny!
Atheists favoring cats over dogs b/c cats are more dependent? I don't know; being independent in one area doesn't mean the same for all areas of life.

If it did, I'd think there wouldn't be many atheists into S/M, (in particular I'm thinking of master/slave relationships). I've known quite a few atheists into this and I'm sure there are more, being that they aren't inhibited by religion. So, even though they don't follow a church, they still want to be the boss, or be told what to do at least sometimes.

As for me, I like both dogs and cats, but especially cats. They purr! They fit in laps! But mainly, dogs have so much energy, and I'm always sleepy.
Actually - consider this re: the religiosity of cats:

1. They often act like they think they are gods (or, at least, demi-gods) and should be worshiped
2. They see things people don't
3. They leave little sacrifices to the 'human gods' - often on the threshold of a doorway, which, to them might appear to be an altar
I'm with Jennifer on this one.
Jennifer may have deleted her account on the site. It used to be when people did this, all their comments and posts would disappear.
I just got back from a 10-day stay with my mom over ... THAT holiday (honestly not certain WHAT to call it!). She owns a beautiful female Greyhound who is perhaps one of the most sweet-tempered animals it has ever been my pleasure to meet. That brought back memories of when I was there with my ex-wife and kid some 17 years ago, when she had a different greyhound. I got to watch my then-four-year-old daughter bond with that gentle animal practically from the moment we arrived. Then and now, I have genuinely liked greyhounds, much as I loved the Hungarian Vizla I grew up with.

Still, it was nice to come home after vacation to listen to Morris say HI to me, scritch-scritch Boo and see Sadie grudgingly welcome us back. I've said it before and will repeat: cats is good for what cats is good for and dogs is good for what dogs is good for!
Atheist and yes I have a Cat and am more of a Cat person.
My Persian kitty girl, Little Miss Yakety Yak, has been with me for almost 15 years and I'll miss her when she's gone. My mineature Dachshund is Daddy's Baby Boy and never fails to give me a friendly greeting when I come home. For a single old man, they're great to have around.
I was always a cat person, for most of the reasons you state, Phil. A cat expects to be treated as an equal, whereas a dog tends to be more slavishly devoted. But I ended up with a Jack Russell Terrier a few years ago, and I just love him to pieces. Of course, he doesn't drool, so that's kind of major. And he isn't all that obedient, so maybe I appreciate his independent streak. He is a lot more work than my cat, but I need to get out of the house anyhow, so I can't really complain about that. I just wish he and my cat got along better. I pretty much have to keep them separated.
This stems from two common missconceptions about cats. The first that they are loners by nature. The truth is that domestic cats are really pack animals left to their own devices. The second that they are more independant, as evidenced by their intractability. The truth is that professional animal trainers say that they are about as easy to train as dogs. Anyone who thinks a cats aloofness is a sign of haughtiness should get a large dog treat him like a cat and witness them coupled with serious agression when his dominance is challenged.
There seems to be a general disdain for domesticated animals, both from biologists and the public at large. This is probably because they are considered somehow lesser since they serve humans. There also is this same feeling because of dog's submissiveness to humans.
I do not think atheists are more cat people or dog people or iguana people or prone to liking any type of animal because of their atheism.

I like cats and I love dogs. Cats are like good acquaintances you like to hang out with but can't really count on in a crisis. Dogs are like the type of friends who will always have your back and who you can count on in a crisis.

If they were people then dogs would be the friends who help you move and cats would be the ones who are too busy getting their hair done.

This is just my completely unscientific and completely biased opinion.
I say this as someone who owns four cats and two dogs.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service