Resolved: Atheists Are More Cat People Than Dog People

Having co-habited with many cats over the years, I've found them to be free-thinking and inquisitive, like atheists. Dogs seem to be more accepting, more willing to go along. I think this accounts for the fact that atheists tend to favor cats over dogs. (I'm not saying atheists hate dogs--just that we're better attuned to cats.) Comments?

Tags: atheists, cats, dogs, pets

Views: 2298

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yep, yet another example of the people having hate-ons being dog people... just sayin'

You've obviously never had a cat that loved you.  Maybe you are cold and aloof?  My cats cuddle with me at night and purr. 

As for Atheist humans being cold and intellectual, maybe you are describing yourself?  My family are nothing like that.  We are all Atheists, warm & loving, and love cats AND dogs, but mostly cats.

Also, my cats are all up-to-date on their shots and never go outside.  My dog was just outside eating her own poop.  Now which animal is more disgusting?

Wrong on all counts, booklover. I am a very warm, affectionate, and loving person. My dog is also up-to-date on all shots. He recently was very sick, as a result of a scratch from a cat. You should look up the research on schizophrenia and other human ailments possibly being caused by toxoplasmosis from cat feces. I've never encountered an affectionate cat, but maybe they exist. I just prefer being greeted by an excited dog, wagging his tail and licking my face. I regret to say that most of my fellow atheists whom I've met are not socially skilled and are often science fiction and comic book nerds, many of whom seem to worship Mr. Spock. Again, that's not to say that there aren't atheists, like myself, who are warm and emotional and affectionate. My point is just to counter the idea that there's some sort of natural affinity between atheists and cats, as opposed to dogs, and to counter the idea that all atheists are skeptical and "logical". Furthermore, I doubt that cats are "inquisitive" or "freethinking".

Really?  My cats come up to me when I come home and rub against my legs.  I have never met an Atheist like you describe.   And that's REALLY funny that you don't think cats are inquisitive.  Stranger and stranger...

Cats can be great. I do prefer dogs but I've had some wonderful cats in my time. But please, folks, they're not freethinkers; they're not *thinkers*.

You have a point.  I do think it's possible that cats do some rudimentary reasoning.  I'd be interested in seeing some empirical evidence for such reasoning, if it exists.  Can you point me to any?  After all, it's the positive claim that bears the burden of proof.  "Seems obvious to me" is anecdotal and, while it may be of some interest, is merely someone's personal opinion.

Timothy, I disagree with the atheist being cold and unable to connect on an intimate level with other people.  I find that on a xtian level and they call themselves being friendly.  I hate cats unless it is a big cat.

Cats will come to me in a NY nano-second and want to rub against my leg.  I'd rather take a pit bull anytime.

Timothy, I disagree with your assessment of atheists.  I have not met one that is cold and unable to connect with people.  I will assign that assessment to xtians.  Cats will come to me and try to rub on my legs and I will send them packing. 

As for a big cat, I have no problem with them.  They can rub all they want as long as they don't think I will be their next play toy or dinner.  :-)

Whether you are a cat person or dog person, the important thing is for as atheist/humanist, to cherish all living creatures.

Oscar I could not agree more! Thanks for your wonderful statement that we should cherish all living creatures.

Yes Oscar Lei, you are right.  And I do cherish all animals.  Except for a few human ones that I can't stand... ;)

Insects are not my favorites. I am quite partial to snails as an appetizer, but that probably doesn't count as "cherishing" them.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Ruth Anthony-Gardner added a discussion to the group Diabetes
6 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner added a discussion to the group Wildlife
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo posted discussions
2 hours ago
Trick replied to Anthony Jordan's discussion Free Will [Sam Harris]
2 hours ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner added a discussion to the group Cancer
2 hours ago
Rick Springfield commented on Freethinker31's blog post We Are Not Alone in the Universe
2 hours ago
Dr. Allan H. Clark replied to Anthony Jordan's discussion Free Will [Sam Harris]
3 hours ago
Bud the Wonderer replied to Christine's discussion What exactly is "sin" anyway??
3 hours ago
Pat replied to Christopher Cosgrove's discussion How insecure is the deity that blasphemy has the death sentence? http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28439518
3 hours ago
Pat replied to Joe's discussion GOP candidate claims fossil record proves humans lived with dinosaurs in the group Atheist News
3 hours ago
Joe Tomberlin replied to Joe's discussion N. TX Atheist group makes appeal to Hispanic non-believers in the group Atheist News
3 hours ago
Joe Tomberlin replied to Joe's discussion GOP candidate claims fossil record proves humans lived with dinosaurs in the group Atheist News
3 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service