While I have never truly been a Christian, I have only recently decided to give up the charade since turning 18 (a couple years ago). Though not around family. My extended family are fairly devout moderate protestants who are closely knit. The entire family is well educated, everyone is expected a bachelor's degree at the bare minimum, and everyone of age has at least a masters. Though we live far apart, my mother's side always comes together for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and summer break for 1-2 weeks each. During these times, I've lapsed back into the charade. I always feel guilty to myself, so lately I've firmly decided to never partake of the charade again. I will not be attending Thanksgiving this year so I have sometime. However, Christmas is looking ever more intimidating. On principle, I do not question the religious beliefs of others and so do not impose mine on others. However, I know that even in silent dissension I will be "found out" at the very least when it comes to Christmas Eve service.

That being my rough background here is where I seek advice. How should I approach this conflict? My nature has me do nothing until asked why I will not go to the service and must respond with revealing that I am an atheist. I know this is going to be a terrible event for everyone, especially considering the holiday. I know I need to communicate this to my parents first, but I am at a loss as to how to do so. I suspect my father knows of my non-belief, but I am sure it will destroy my mother. It is out of sympathy and respect for her that I have yet to reveal my beliefs. How do I break it to them?

Tags: Advice

Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would say dont go for a big announcement, that will just make people feel like they need to make an official response. I would, if possible, let people know 1-1 (not the gossipy types!) well beforehand so that it is not you 'deliberately ruining xmas for them'. If your father already suspects, perhaps have a chat to him about how you feel, if you think he will be ok with it. Also you could present it as a 'crisis of faith' which will be treated as an ongoing concern, which will allow you to (in their eyes) drift away, rather than slapping them in the face and saying 'im out!'.

Also if you wish to miss the xmas eve service, perhaps you could do something 'more xtian than xtian' like volunteering at a soup kitchen or homeless shelter at that time. It will at least stifle the 'amoral athiest' argument you might encounter.

I agree with Meddlesome. An announcement right before midnight mass sounds problematic, like something out of a David Sedaris book.   Volunteering during the service is genius!
Don't wait until it's time to go to church before you voice your beliefs.  Sit down with whoever you trust most and present the facts gently and clearly.  [I learned this the hard way...]

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Cyn X posted a blog post
15 minutes ago
Loren Miller posted a status
"Back from an AMAZING Cars & Coffee event. Tons of amazing machines and some neat folks to talk to!"
15 minutes ago
"Back from an AMAZING Cars & Coffee event. Tons of amazing machines and some neat folks to talk to!"
15 minutes ago
15 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
46 minutes ago
sk8eycat commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
1 hour ago
BIPLAB DAS commented on BIPLAB DAS's blog post A 9 year old girl was mentally tortured after being accused as witch.
1 hour ago
BIPLAB DAS commented on BIPLAB DAS's blog post A 9 year old girl was mentally tortured after being accused as witch.
1 hour ago
sk8eycat commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Ethics of Atheism - A Conversation between Stefan Molyneux with Dr Peter Boghossian
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Ethics of Atheism - A Conversation between Stefan Molyneux with Dr Peter Boghossian
1 hour ago
Loren Miller replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Ethics of Atheism - A Conversation between Stefan Molyneux with Dr Peter Boghossian
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service