Republicans==Democrats, Republicans!=conservative, Democrats!=liberal

I would probably fit into some of the stereotypes for a right winger:  totally into low taxes and smaller government.  I start to go off track though, because for me, that includes dismantling the military-industrial complex, ending pointless wars, not getting into them in the first place, and just maintaining our actual national security (which wouldn't take a whole bunch, the US is like Russia -- ain't nobody gonna be able to occupy this much space).

But I don't really want a government that tells people how to live, who to marry, violates privacy, has any say in reproductive freedom, etc. etc.  Typical lefty issues.

Anyway, just throwing this out there -- it seems that Republicans and Democrats really are the same, or at least 95% or so, and neither group really represents me well.  As for our current administration (you know, the same one as the last one with a new face), I think Glen Greenwald has written about the best summary paragraph ever (totally defines awesome) of the Obama administration's continuation and extension of the Bush legacy:

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/08/10/gibbs/...

So I'm wondering -- am I as alone among atheists as I am with everyone else?  I basically consider myself a green libertarian, which makes me a bit soft on property rights issues in the eyes of hardcore libertarians, but I like a pretty world where the costs of production are not handed off to unsuspecting neighbors.  As far as Republocrats and Demoplicans go though, just six of one, half dozen of the other,  so I am rather bothered with the assumption that Republicans are conservatives and Democrats are liberals.

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I personally believe labels in politics are a horrible thing. In my opinion everyone should consider themselves independent. While many people's views will be the same as a group's views, I bet most people have issues they differ on compared to any party. When you are only given a few options as far as which party you align yourself with, it gives the canidates within those parties heavy lines they have to tread.

An example might be you are conservative but you believe in gay marriage. I would love to see the canidate that can gain the support of the republican party in regards to that platform.

Also as far as republicans being conservative I would urge you to look at government spending vs presidents since the 1970's http://zfacts.com/metaPage/lib/National-Debt-GDP.gif

No one is perfect when it comes to politics. I didn't vote last presidential election since I was going to vote for Obama in Indiana. I assumed that my democratic vote would be a wash in this state, but I found out that I was wrong. One of the bigger lessons I have learned I guess.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service