I do not want to come off as ungrateful or anything like that, but I just received a gift from someone I had been doing some work for and have developed a friendship with. It is a small ring with a prayer inscription on the inside and she said that the proceeds went to charity. 

It is the "serenity prayer" if any of you know what I am talking about. I feel conflicted about wearing it. It is not often that I receive gifts and I really am overjoyed that she took the time and effort to pick a gift out for me. However, it does kind of bother me that it is a religious "symbol" I guess you could say. Any prayer that is asking God for courage or anything else like that is meaningless to me, obviously. I know that she had good intentions, but I can't shake the feeling of being bothered by it. 

What would you guys think or feel about this gift? I put it on a chain and have worn it around my neck today but I have been thinking about wearing the inscription out of it. Is that horrible? Am I overreacting? Would anyone else feel this same way?

Views: 255

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have you considered taking the stainless steel ring to a jeweller and having the inscription erased ? You could then wear the gift on a necklace and be happy about it.

$$$$

That's a novel idea. The only problem with it would be if the giver wanted to see the ring later.

Maybe the dog ate it.

if real goto jewler? appraise? ; )
just being real.. i'm callous i guess

Probably cost $1.50 in the Christian book store.  Wouldn't be worth the time.

I would say the gift was an act of kindness and accept as that and move on. If someone asks you why an atheist wears such a ring you can always say it was a gift from someone more important to me than a silly myth.

I think this is a good take as well.  It just depends on the person and how it affects your feelings on social impressions and psychological affects.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service