Is Atheism considered a "religion"? If the worship of a deity is, then in turn, shouldn't the rejection of such a deity also be considered as such? And if so, what exactly are the tenets? 

Views: 566

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Atheism is a religion just like bald is a hair style. Religion pre-supposes that there is something greater than mankind and that greater entity (a deity or god) created mankind. Therefore mankind worships their version of that deity. Atheism, on the other hand, says that there are no deities. It depends on what part of the world you live in and were raised in, as to what deity you believe in. Education along the lines of whether or not any of this makes any sense is very important as to whether you remain "religious" or not.

I'm a former lay preacher in a fundamentalist faith and I can tell you that 9/11 was a religious event also. As it happened, it was not the religion of most people in the USA. Even so, some people have written letters to newspapers claiming that our religion is "the true religion because of the resurrection of Jesus Christ." We had better wake up before we kill ourselves.

It's all sort of like someone laughing at those who believe in Santa Clause because they believe in the Easter Bunny. Maybe we could get more out of it all if we would just bring Thor back.

I also like the statement that Atheism is a religion just like "off" is a TV channel. 

Atheism is a religion like baldness is a hairstyle.Two Cult Survivor had written here on A|N, "It's not. But it is. But it's not." It is in the sense that if people expect freedom of religion, then not following any religion is itself a choice deserving of equal respect and noncoercion.

"When a theist claims atheism is a religion, the appropriate response ... is to say 'You do not want me forcing my religion on you or your children, and I do not want you forcing your religion on me or mine.'"

Nice non-hair non-style.

No.Atheism is just what is left when people stop making shit up.  Like there is no word for someone who doesn't believe that the tooth-fairy is real.  There shouldn't even be the word Atheist.

good reply Booklover

I'd agree, but also say that atheism (even with a small "a") is a position of stating that gods don't exist (as opposed to much more relativistic agnosticism).  This, like agnosticism, is not an absolute position, since most thinking people believe that absolutes (probably) don't exist in nature.  It is a summation of experience suggesting that gods are so highly unlikely that we may as well act as if they don't exist, just as we act as though unicorns don't exist.  Are gods possible?  Well, anything is possible, but that some things are more likely than others is the whole course of knowledge.

}}}}

diitto!

Well said!

We don't have "aunicornists" or "aleprechaunists".

Yep.  I should have pointed-out that MANY people have said that before.  I did not make that up.  I did, however, make up the saying that Atheism is what is left when people stop making shit up.  Sometimes, not having as large a vocabulary as some do on here, works! lol

Wow!  I'm impressed that you made-up that great saying Mindy.

I KNEW my swearing would come in handy one day! ha ha

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service