The original thread is gone. That would be my bad.

Here's what happened, told in my usual verbose parenthetical style. If you just want to get on with it, skip past the italics.

I originally registered for Atheist Nexus last Sunday after listening to a Chariots of Iron podcast where AN was mentioned, while on a bus from Wilmington NC to Washington DC following the Christmas holiday. Since I was using my Motorola Droid (which is cooler than shit, by the way) I actually registered on the bus using this hand-held computer, browser and Twittering system with GPS cabability with which, I'm told, you can also make phone calls with.

I have two Gmail accounts, one using my given name which syncs directly with Google Calendar and Google Docs and I use mostly for work, family and my capacity as director of the National Association of Hen Teasers (I can get a chicken from head-under-wing asleep to apoplectic in 30 seconds, but anyway...) and the other is associated with my site and the nom de guerre "Mykeru" (which is a story in itself). Being too lazy to switch accounts, I registered using the email for my given name and thought that I could fill in the pseudonym later. Which I did. What I didn't realize was that the underlying architecture of Atheist Nexus was a tool of Satan and used my initial registration to create a URL using my given name.

Now, keep in mind that I'm an atheist, a recovered alcoholic and an incorrigible asshole who tends to overshare anyway, so although I can't keep everything separate, I try not to make things easy for fuck nozzles who use Google as the groundwork for being complete assholes. Seriously, once I had right-wing nutbags get my name from the domain information on my site, when it was poorly protected by RCN and cause all sorts of mischief. I since changed from HTML to WordPress and moved the whole operation to Laughing Squid, who not only protect anonymity better, but just love a good bogus DMCA notice that they can chew up and spit back into some lawyers face.

Plus, and this is important, by using the Mykeru brand name, I can be even more of a pain in the ass than I already am.

I'm about to reboot my site and I would like to have the ability to link to my page on AN without giving the whole game away. I tried to change the URL in the settings, no good. I changed the email, but still the URL held my name. I sent a couple "issue" reports to AN, but no response.

I was spending more time trying to deal with this dumb quirk "through channels" than it really deserved in terms of redoing my profile. So before I added too much content I decided to just delete my registration and re-register making sure that the mark of quality that is "Mykeru" was used. I figured I would have to redo my profile, add my picture again and make friends all over again.
I didn't. Miraculously, when the re-register was approved, the page came back with all settings, links and what have you intact.

However, and I didn't expect this: The fucking thread "Religion vs. Spirituality" was gone. Just gone. I thought maybe, if anything, my remarks might disappear, making it sort of one-sided, but the entire thing was gone.

So, for everyone who contributed to that thread, offered their thoughts and opinions, whether they were really stupid or not, I apologize profusely. Although I don't have a problem with my writing in that thread being deleted, there is no way that I intended the same for everyone else who contributed.

I fully accept whatever punishment is coming to me, especially if you are anything from a 20-something girl to a cougar in the metro Washington DC area with an extensive latex wardrobe and really like horned guys with creepy lemur eyes.

So, where were we? The thread began relating religion to spirituality and degenerated into an exercise in lexicography and Howard's fuck-all worthless opinion.

So, taking it from there:

1. Does the term "spiritual" necessarily involve the supernatural? I claim it does and people who use it in any other way are just too lazy to use a dictionary. Is using the term for the non-supernatural just sloppy language? Is using it aiding and abetting the religious by at the very least seeming to be fellow travellers?

2. Can one be an atheist and not be a skeptic towards the supernatural? This is the reverse of the case I hear reported at the last The Amazing Meeting (TAM) where Matt Dillahunty of The Atheist Experience recounts that the "skeptics" in attendance were told to lay off those skeptics who were also theists. I can't disagree more with that, and think those kid gloves represents another example of religion getting a pass. But is the reverse true: Can one be a critical atheist, whose lack of belief is derived from rational grounds and not also be a skeptic when it comes to the "spiritual"?

3. Is Atheist Nexus' underlying architecture a tool of Satan?

Tags: boners, religion, spirituality

Views: 233

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

well, it's not very romantic, but its chemicals. of course you know that when certain parts of the brain are stimulated people describe themselves as sensing the transcendant.

I know we want it to be more than a feeling...so we create words to elevate that status...because it is such an out of the ordinary sort of big picture perspective thing...

and now the words have taken on a life of their own.
and I'm guessing its the invasion of the body snatchers ...but I am probably wrong
I like that too.

Its a thorny one. Until someones official coins a word we can all agree on. LOL

Wow. Took the time to skim through the entire thread last night before it was deleted and get more about the game now. It's pretty funny.. thanks for the laughs. Something between a pissing contest and a pseudo-intellectual wank-fest, largely, with the odd attempt at honest enquiry and comment somewhat lost amid the all the chest-thumping and competition for the biggest and hairiest balls of them all.. or is that the biggest, hairiest ego? Hmmm.. I think we have a winner.. LOL... Enjoy
Yeah...and this isn't the 70's....he who has the harriest balls these days is actually the loser. Besides, everyone knows if you trim the bushes the tree looks bigger.
...something about one in the hand vs. two in the bush...
Is this a spirited debate?
Where's you team spirit?
Feeling high-spirited today are we?
It's new years eve - I'm going to have a drink with spirits in it.
to your very good health sir!
I'm gonna have to try it...I do believe that I have the ability to find and "use" that feeling when I want to. It feels good, why not???
Or as Hume put it, to paraphrase, the juxtaposition of events -- that one event follows another -- do not necessarily mean a causal connection.
Once you filter it, what "spiritual" stuff do you have left?

When you take that and examine it, can you perhaps call it something else that doesn't presume the supernatural?

Which is getting back to one of my original points: Many times when people use the word "spiritual" it's because it's easier than use a more descriptive, naturalistic term.
I agree Phil. It's pretty much gotta be all or nothing...either we stick with science, or we go woo-woo. Now, still, I think whatever works,for you as long as you don't insist I have to believe it too.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
3 minutes ago
Pat commented on Ivy's group Atheist Humor
12 minutes ago
Sentient Biped replied to James M. Martin's discussion It Doesn't Take Long for this Racist Missouri Lawman to Blast Anyone Different from a Middle-Aged White Male
12 minutes ago
matthew greenberg replied to James M. Martin's discussion It Doesn't Take Long for this Racist Missouri Lawman to Blast Anyone Different from a Middle-Aged White Male
13 minutes ago
Sentient Biped replied to James M. Martin's discussion It Doesn't Take Long for this Racist Missouri Lawman to Blast Anyone Different from a Middle-Aged White Male
14 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to Steph S.'s discussion In what way are you still recovering from being brought up religious? in the group Recovering from Religion
14 minutes ago
Pat replied to James M. Martin's discussion It Doesn't Take Long for this Racist Missouri Lawman to Blast Anyone Different from a Middle-Aged White Male
20 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Steph S.'s discussion In what way are you still recovering from being brought up religious? in the group Recovering from Religion
21 minutes ago
Idaho Spud replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
30 minutes ago
Dr. Terence Meaden commented on Dr. Terence Meaden's group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
33 minutes ago
Deidre32 posted a status
"Always raining in flor-ee-dah.............bla"
33 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion It Doesn't Take Long for this Racist Missouri Lawman to Blast Anyone Different from a Middle-Aged White Male
33 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service