About a year ago, I started my career in the Federal government.  As far as I know, I am the only atheist in my office, and some of the people I work with (including my boss) are VERY expressive about their religious views.  I've felt very uncomfortable standing up for myself as an atheist, and even more uncomfortable being constantly (at least a couple of times per week) subjected to religious questions, comments, etc.

These "probes" started with my boss asking me what I want for my unborn son (I'm expecting in a couple of months), then proceeding to tell me, if it was his child, he would want to make sure that his spirit lived on eternally.  Other questions/discussions have ranged from relatively harmless ("...you should come play volleyball with my church team...") to complete idiocy ("...in the Old Testament times, people lived to be 400 years old...").  I've also had other co-workers give me a card or a poem for my baby that are religious in nature or that refer to "God's blessings," etc.

While most of the people closest to me know me as an atheist, I feel that, like a person's faith, it is something deeply personal and should stay that way except when in the company of like-minded people or those who can have a rational, unemotional discussion about it.  I am irritated by my co-workers'--and more specifically my boss's--assumptions that (a) everyone subscribes to the same world view, and (b) that it is ok to discuss these things in a workplace at all, let alone a Federal workplace.  I fear (and not unnecessarily, I don't think) that I will be judged and treated differently if I openly express these concerns. 

Looking for a little advice, if anybody has words of wisdom....

Views: 802

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

your boss's world view is 'keep everyone under me dumb so i can profit from them' betcha... ~

find a corporate lawyer~ young female one. serious. with activist credentials why not. . . this aint' russia.. yet...

I love being self-employed...

Even when I wasn't, however, I live in a very liberal area (New Haven, CT), and people mostly left this topic alone at work. I agree that that's how it should be.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service