Has anyone here become more against religion over time? Before religion didn't really bother me, but whenever I see something religious now it pisses me off. If I found a bible, cross or some other religious figure I would probably end up burning it.

Views: 976

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was just thinking that this morning on the way to work.  I was listening to an audio book, and an otherwise good story kept getting interrupted with religious bullshit.  The whole book had been relatively free of dogma and hokey Jesus shit, then the main character gets sick and ultimately dies in the end, and I found myself being inundated with his looking forward to meeting Jesus, the promise of heaven, etc.  Every mention of the word "christ" was like fingernails on a chalkboard.  What's worse - the whole time I thought it was a novel since it was John Grisham, but the afterward informed me that it was nonfiction. 

I definitely have. The various acts of terrorism haven't affected my view because I'm fortunate enough not to have been personally affected by them and it is the sort of thing I expect from powerful religions based on historical behaviour.

Over time I've been increasingly exposed to religious people, and their stupidity etc has worn my long term patience very thin, so I will respond to things I would have let go a couple of years ago and respond more forcefully.

Yes, I have.  For one thing, more than just a passing mention of religion in the movies I used to like to watch every year, have made them unwatchable now.

One of the things that has been irritating me no end lately is Rick Steve’s Europe travel shows.  I used to enjoy watching them, but no more.  He spends a huge amount of time talking about religion.

I just looked-up his page and see that he has collaborated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and made 5 videos talking about faith and the people in the bible.  Ugh!

Oh dear! this is bad news. I no longer own a TV, but I used to watch all of Rick Steve's travel shows. He lives in Washington state, or at least he used to. I shall have to send him a note and express my concern about his religiosity and those of us who do not believe in supernatural beings do not want to hear that stuff. I wonder if he will respond ... I'll let you know.  

Thanks Joan.  I'd like to say I'm eager to hear how he responds, but I expect he will just respond with fake concern that he's losing some viewers, but not change his religious ways.

It's being on this site that likely does it :)  Lots of anti-religious talk. 

Actually this site helps me let off steam!

Atheist Nexus hasen't done anything to piss me off. I don't have a problem with anti-religious talk it's just religion itself. The whole world is infested with religion bullshit.

I'm sure that being around a lot of atheist anti-religious people has a big influence.  That doesn't mean that it's a bad or wrong influence.  People choose who they spend time around, so they choose what shapes their perceptions.   

I started to feel irked sometimes by Christmas music in the stores for example, after being around a bunch of atheists.  It changed my reactions to the monks and nuns of various flavors (buddhist, christian) out in public.  I'm sure others are similarly influenced.  

Infested is the perfect word for it Dustin!  I couldn't agree with you more.  And it not only pisses me off, it scares me to death!~Melinda

Melinda - me too.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service