I am a sales man at best buy in a local town in tulsa, OK.
I sell computers. None of my job requires me to follow a certain religious standard. It is however expected of me to have a certain tolerance to coworkers/customers religious tendencies.
I love my country, we have been all about freedoms from the get go.
I am an atheist, and that is what I choose to believe.
Other people choose to believe in what they will as well.
That is the beauty of our country.
The very last thing I want is to remove all choice in the matter and tell people they cannot believe in what they want.

I recently came to work the other day, came in about 20 minutes early because I wanted to chow down some of my lunch before I clocked in.
A co worker came up to me and asked if I had checked my corporate email.
I said no I haven't seeing as how its full of junk anyhow.
She responded telling me I should check it right away.
Almost had a worried tone to her voice so I quickly finished my noming and checked my mail.
I uhh well, didn't really like it to say the least.

Before I go any farther I am going to paste the exact email minus the forwarding.
Then I will finish with my thoughts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DID YOU KNOW THESE FACTS?

I SURE DIDNT TILL NOW

Death is certain but the Bible speaks about untimely death!

Make a personal reflection about this.....

Very interesting, read until the end.....
=0 A

It is written in the Bible (Galatians 6:7):

'Be not deceived; God is not mocked:

for whatsoever a man sow,

that shall he also reap.

Here are some men and women

who mocked God :

John Lennon (Singer):

Some years before, during his interview with an American Magazine, he said:

'Christianity will end, it will disappear.

I do not have to argue about

that. I am certain.

Jesus was ok, but his subjects were too simple, today we are more famous than Him' (1966).

Lennon, after saying that the Beatles were more famous than Jesus Christ, was shot six times.

Tancredo Neves (President of Brazil ):

During the Presidential campaign, he said if he got 500,000 votes from his party, not even God would remove him from Presidency.

Sure he got the votes, but he got sick a day before being made President, then he died.

Cazuza (Bi-sexual Brazilian composer, singer and poet):

During A show in Canecio ( Rio de Janeiro ),

while smoking his cigarette, he puffed out some smoke into the air and said:'God, that's for you.'

He died at the age of 32 of LUNG CANCER in a horrible manner.

The man who built the Titanic

After the construction of Titanic, a reporter asked him how safe the Titanic would be.

With an ironic tone he said:

'Not even God can sink it'

The result: I think you all know what happened to t he Titanic

Marilyn Monroe (Actress)

She was visited by Billy Graham during a presentation of a show.

He said the Spirit of God had sent him to preach to her.

After hearing what the Preacher had to say, she said:

'I don't need your Jesus'..

A week later, she was found dead in her apartment

Bon Scott (Singer)

The ex-vocalist of the AC/DC. On one of his 1979 songs he sang:

'Don't stop me; I'm going down all the way, down the highway to hell'.

On the 19th of February 1980, Bon Scott was found dead, he had been choked by his own vomit.

Campinas (IN 2005)

In Campinas , Brazil a group of friends, drunk, went to pick up a friend.....

The mother accompanied her to the car and was so worried about the drunkenness of her friends and she said to the daughter holding her hand, who was already seated in the car:

'My Daughter, Go With God And May He Protect You.'

She responded: 'Only If He (God) Travels In The Trunk, Cause Inside Here.....It's Already Full '

Hou rs later, news came by that they had been involved in a fatal accident, everyone had died,

the car could not be recognized what type of car it had been, but surprisingly, the trunk was intact.

The police said there was no way the trunk could have remained intact. To their surprise, inside the trunk was a crate of eggs, none was broken

Christine Hewitt (Jamaican Journalist and entertainer)
said the Bible (Word of God) was the worst book ever written.

In June 2006 she was found burnt beyond recognition in her m otor vehicle.

Many more important people have forgotten that there is no other name that was given so much authority as the name of Jesus.

Many have died, but only Jesus died and rose again, and he is still alive.

'Jesus'

PS: If it was a joke, you would have sent it to everyone.
So are you going to have courage to send this?.

I have done my part, Jesus said

'If you are embarrassed about me,

I will also be embarrassed about you before my father.'

You are my 8 in 8 seconds. I am not breaking this. No way!

I'M TOLD THIS WORKS!!!!! Bishop T.D. Jakes '8 Second Prayer.' Just repeat this prayer and see how God moves!!

'Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen.'

Pass this message to 8 people {EXCEPT YOU AND ME}.You will receive a miracle tomorrow. I Hope that you don't ignore and
let God bless you.

John 8:32 " And you will know the truth and
the truth will make you free."

Now that the email is out of the way I can be blunt.
Should this kind of thing be allowed?
What I took from this email, was that if I did not believe in god, I will die in a rather unpleasant way.
Is this really how christians want to be portrayed?
Forget that.... lets even forget the fact it came as a christian message.
Even if it was a message from a wiccan, it in my opinion steps over the line.

Again, I have a certain tolerance to religious tendencies at work. I don't go to work, to make money, to pay my bills, so I can get razzed for what I don't believe in.

I can spark up a discussion out of work, but there is a time and a place for those things, and my point is that these kind of things should not happen at work.

My question is this.... I have contemplated making a corporate issue about this with a few other coworkers. Many of which are of different beliefs including christian.
Should I make a big deal of this? Or should I "take it with a grain of salt"?

Halp

Tyson

Tags: Best, Buy, Religious, Work, atheism, chain, christianity, letter, standards

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a typical spam mail just like those that the world's end is coming or that there is a 911 conspiracy or that your computer is going to be infected by the deadliest virus in existence which will make your hadrdrive go spoof, etc.

While it certainly is a Christian message, first of all, it must be determined who sent the mail initially to you and your coworkers. Secondly, these types of mail are and should be considered spam and they can if too many send them further, actually make whole databases crash.

What policies do you have against spam mails? Disregarding the Chiristian undertone of this message (and add, the rash stupidity), regardless if this was written by a Wiccan with a Wiccan-understone, a Muslim or a Christian it shouldn't be allowed by your coworkers to send any form of spam for the reasons I mentioned above.

In addition, it's nice if you don't send it to people who don't want them (I still got an old classmate who still has my email on her list who spams me with "if you do this you will meet your love in your life" etc mails or "if you do this you know your friends love you" and it's annoying) and I have actually gotten the impression the more stupid the reader, the more likely they will unfortuately send the mail to their friends. With that sad, any intelligent person would see through these messages.

Tell that any form of spam should not be allowed, may it be to become happy or to love your friends and there should be clear directions of what is considered spam or not.
Its chainmail, chainmail is unsolicited bulk email (UBE). At the very least its mail abuse. It should be and may be criminal, depending where you are. It very defininately breaks every corporate email policy I've ever seen. At the very least, I'd probably run it through Spamcop and report it. If it was me, I'd also take it to HR if it originated within your organisation.

To add punch, there is simple mathematics -

Assume it was sent to 20 people. Assume 4 assume it is a "crucial" lesson from the lord and forward it to 20 other people. Put it through 10 iterations. My brain is a bit fuzzy right now, but my rough calculation would be -

20 emails x 20% forwarders => 80 emails x 20% forwarders => 320 emails x 20% forwarders etc.

After 10 cycles you have over 20,000,000 pieces of garbage clogging mail systems.

This crap needs a zero tolerance approach.

But if you can't do the above, there is always http://stopforwarding.us/

Just don't do nothing. Stomp on it hard.
And Cazuza died from AIDS, not lung cancer. But then facts aren't very high on the xtian nutjob agenda.
You most likely have some legal recourse. I think the ACLU might be one place to check into. Or you might just look for a lawyer that is sympathetic to the seperation of church and state, albeit, were not taking about the state.

You might be advised what you should do first so your ass doesn't wacked. I do think you should fight this, and don't give anybody an inch. Your already being imposed on.
I mentioned Spamcop before. What I didn't mention is that they report junk mail as your proxy - your identity remains hidden. Or if you want, I'll even submit it for you. Though its technically not spam, it will generate a complaint that will be followed up by the admins of the account it was sent from. Just be sure to remove complaint forwards to services not related directly to the sender.
Thanks for all of the help so far.
I'm not quite sure how I want to approach this.
To clarify, a fellow coworker used the corporate email system to proselytize christianity.
I know I can't go to my managers and say "I'm atheist and I don't like her christian proselytizing"
They would laugh at me.
Should I call my corporate number and complain, and if so what should I say?
Further more, my corporate help is out sourced help. So you tell me just how far I could get.
If I call, I feel it will be overlooked, and if I talk to my management it will label me as "the atheist"
I know this because something very similar happened at my last job.
They found out I was an atheist and started the process of discrimination.
I would like to at all possibility, avoid having me labeled.

I have no fear what so ever with people knowing I am an atheist. What I do have a problem with, is them using that name with a negative connotation.
Fine. Request a copy of your companies email policy - the sender will be in breach of this policy. Read it. You will be covered - you are following corporate policy, and merely doing the right thing in your companies best interest by reporting misuse and abuse of this system. Any Muslims there ? Throw in that wild card - you don't want them to be offended.

Otherwise, if your not prepared to do anything, then don't write about it.
That's very smart felch, resorting to Muslims. I think he mentioned earlier there were some on his company, so it might very well work.
I would just go to your boss and say "would you please tell (whoever sent the message) not to forward anymore chain letters". Or perhaps go to the HR manager and ask that they put out a memo saying not to forward any chain letters. You don't even have to bring up the issue of religion if you don't want to.

I used to work at UPS and people were often sending me jokes, chain letters, and other junk. It is one of those policies that unless it gets out of hand, nobody bothers to enforce.

You should send this to person who sent the chain letter:

Charles Darwin, who wrote the "Origin of Species", lived to be 73 years old.

George Carlin, comedian, who said "Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told" and "There is no God. None. Not one. Never was. No God.", lived to 71.

Annie Besant, women's rights activist who said "No philosophy, no religion, has ever brought so glad a message to the world as this good news of atheism", lived to the age of 85.

Samuel Clemens (a.k.a. Mark Twain), writer, who said "Faith is believing what you know ain't so" and "It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand", lived to be 74 years old.

Benjamin Franklin, politician and inventor, who said "Lighthouses are more helpful than churches", lived 84 years.

François-Marie Arouet (a.k.a. Voltaire), famous writer who said "Christianity is the most ridiculous, the most absurd and bloody religion that has ever infected the world", lived to the age of 83.

Friedrich Nietzsche, philosopher who said "God is dead", lived to the age of 55.

Bertrand Russell, mathematician, historian, and philosopher, who said "If there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence", lived to the ripe old age of 97.

Thomas Jefferson, US President and inventor, who said "Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies", lived to the age of 83.

Pass this on to 8 people and nothing will happen, just like when you pray.
I might add that Richard Dawkins is 67 years old and Daniel Dennett is 66.
You could've told your coworker that, you did check it, and you were right: it was just full of junk email.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service