I have heard from a lot of religious people that "Science and religion goes hand in hand". I do not agree with this because religion is based on super natural beliefs that goes against scientific evidence. Now if you are religious and you believe in science, that is one thing. But you cannot say that your religion has anything to do with science or that it supports it. Religion is perhaps a pseudo-science that has failed us tremendously, it has made people turn their backs against modern science and it has only strengthen their extremely delusional beliefs. But if you say this, then religious people will say "Wow, you are arrogant!", but then what is wrong with being arrogant when you are right?

But what do you think? Do you think that religion and science shares anything in common? And what do you think about people who claims they do? 

Views: 413

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gallileo laid the foundation for modern science and one only has to take a look at history to know how he was treated by religion. Religious people did not learn any lesson from the fact that Gallileo had the last laugh. They also opposed Darwin and have been proved wrong again. They still want to believe that man was created by god and that the earth is 6400 tears old. In a country like America, where there is an agency like NASA, there is a Young Earth movement that does everything to oppose modern scientific theory of the birth of the universe. In this respect, the muslims appear only better because they are trying to prove that all that science says is in the Quoran! With this lone exception, religion always appears to be as distant from science as hell and heaven!

Madhukar Kulkarni.

Yes to everyone's previous posts.
Only thing I can think to add is that, I think, it is significant to note how craven the faithfull get in their attempts to bolster their faith based beliefs w science whenever they think they can. For instance "Why People laugh at Creatiinists" has for years been chronicling the ludicrous, laughable knots they tie themselves into trying to use science to support creationism.

They use faith to bolster their positions because that is all they have. At some level anyway, most of them even, know that science and reason trump their faith. But faith, force, and indoctrination and such are usually all they have in their arsenal.

Interpretations of holy texts change as new scientific discoveries are made and eventually accepted by the majority of people. Look at how few people still believe in a literal six-day creation because of the overwhelming evidence of the universe being 13.7 billion years old and the Earth being 4.5 billion. In the end they have to be really vague so that they're not as easily disproven, and I've heard some laughable attempts of explaining inconsistencies and absurdities, like the Jehova's Witness view of creation being from the perspective of a hypothetical human that would have been on Earth at the time, which is why day and night would be seen before the sun.

Still, 44 % of the US population does not believe in evolution and they also believe that the earth is younger than 10 000 years. Then 39 % believes in evolution, but that it was directed by god and then we have 10 % who believes in an evolution without god. But these statistics may be inaccurate.

yes i agree with you, Science and religion can never go hand in hand. question is what is religion. religion is basically about believing in a personal god. but what is science. science is what that proves the existence of a god is a lie. 

No matter what our religious beliefs are, at the end of the day no one can survive without Science but we can without Religion. and i truly think without religion world would be a better place. people need to understand what science truly is, and how to be Good or Evil. and the morals. read the below article that explains what is science and how it affects Good and Evil and Human Condition.

http://www.worldtransformation.com/what-is-science/

Science and religion are not even compatible (I started a discussion on that, on this forum, if you're curious) it has to do with confilcting foundations or first principles. I "de-converted" as soon as I tried considering the idea of god as a scientific hypotesis (credit to Dawkins for the idea).

More to the topic. As far as I remember from when I was religious, the idea is that science shows god's glory by revealing the complexity of the universe. It requires that one believes god created evernthing to impress.

I can think of one thing were science and religion have something in common (sort of). Religion may have (in some cases) have started due (in part) to a quest for knowledge (or answers), e.g. why is there a volcano and how does it work? The religious answer will involve pele, hephistus or similar. In other words the idea that religion is our first attempt at understanding the world.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Tom Sarbeck replied to Pandarius's discussion When the solution is simple, God is answering. - Albert Einstein
7 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
22 minutes ago
Luara replied to Pandarius's discussion When the solution is simple, God is answering. - Albert Einstein
1 hour ago
Ted Foureagles replied to satyam dangi's discussion Do we need to change the entire spectrum of human civilization ?
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
The Devian replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Why Does Prince George Have Brown Eyes? in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Ted Foureagles replied to Kalista Whitney's discussion Was there a particular event in your life that contributed to you becoming atheist?
1 hour ago
The Devian replied to Brian Edward Croner's discussion Intelligent But Makes an Exception for Religion in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
A. D'Agio posted a photo
1 hour ago
anneshathaways posted blog posts
4 hours ago
satyam dangi replied to satyam dangi's discussion Do we need to change the entire spectrum of human civilization ?
5 hours ago
satyam dangi replied to satyam dangi's discussion Do we need to change the entire spectrum of human civilization ?
5 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service