My mother is a devout Christian, my father is an Atheist and they have made it work for over 25 years. My best friend is as Christian as my mother but he and I get along just fine. Is that normal?

I'm interested to hear how people in this community feel about relationships (both romantic and friendly) between Atheists and non-Atheists.

Tags: Relationships, atheists, christians, friends

Views: 19

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A good friend of mine doesn't always agree with my more liberal views and he is a sort of extreme agnostic to add, claims we cannot know anything and this can be annoying in a discussion.

However, we have learnt to respect each others' views on each subject matter, because there are other likeable aspects which mean more than wehether we agree or disagree if god exists or gay rights.
My older sister was a missionary in Brazil with her husband, a full time minister. My younger brother and sister are atheists and we refer to our older sibling as sister sister. We have a sort of unwritten rule that we won't lure her kids away from talking to their imaginary friends and she won't try to trick our kids into thinking faux cannibalism on Sundays is the only way to get some extra years of longevity. It works well.
At the other end of the scale; I have had to pretend stupidity in prayer meetings at one place I worked or I would have lost my job - that really annoyed me. It was like being in the playground as a six year old and having a bunch of kids sit on my back until I admitted there was a Santa Claus and that I was lying when I said those presents all came from our parents. My revenge is brewing and that particular boss is about to be paraded naked, at least figuratively, through a short story I have submitted for publication. Religion is an attractive delusion and I feel sorry for those people who have so much at stake in protecting a fiction that they make death threats to those of us who tell them that god is just Santa Claus for adults.
When it's published,would you give us a link so we can read it?
I would like to read that short story.
I have theist friends and family. That's all fine and we can agree to more or less strongly disagree.
My wife is, like me, an unbeliever with a naturalistic world view.
I don't think I could or would share my life with someone who is hardcore into believing silly stuff.
I certainly could respect a deist, but I've never ever actually met one.
More often I encounter that brand of believers who are quick to profess that yes they are religious and jesus/mohammed was a great guy but for whom religion has no impact on their real life at all. They typically never pray and visit church twice a year, if at all.
My mother is and my father was such a person. I might get along with someone like that romantically, but luckily I don't have to.
My girlfriend (20) and I (21) have been dating for 3 1/2 years. Her dad is a curious man and doesn't really believe in religion and fancies the humanist theory he's been seeing some video on. Her mom is just an old Catholic girl with strong Mexican heritage.

For years my girl has always known that I'm a non-believer but it never affected anything. Any feeling of an 'attack on their beliefs' is just irrational bullshit, or they're just haven't gained any real tolerance for humanity. Took her a few years to be comfortable with it, and I guess with those years my own beliefs became more concrete. And over this time, we came to really know each other and we'd never let it bother us.

Her recent leap of maturity and just plainly becoming a young woman living in the real world, she's become such a loving and rational person, and even fancies the documentaries that she's enjoyed watching with me on religious history and fallacy. She still prays and believes in God, but isn't per say a religious person. But I wholly respect her for her beliefs and she respects me even more for mine. It's like our encouragement of each others curiosity of life and the universe. We embrace our difference, as ghey as that sounds.
The only problems I've had is when it comes to beliefs on sex and what Christians define as 'immoral' in a serious dating style relationship and when people have vain arguments over religion with you and insult you for your beliefs (the term relationship does not always involve positives. We had relations with Russia in the fifties, nobody said they were good.)
Also, I'm not saying that differing views on sex should end a relationship, just that it can lead to your significant other questioning your motives if your views differ.
it depends on how zealous the believer is. i couldn't be close to someone whose spirituality defined their existence.
I need to learn from your good experiences because i'm having a rough time with having religious friends. I have a friend from childhood who i see occasionally, well, i haven't seen him in a while. In the last three years, it hasn't been so chipper. This guy is as close to a gigolo (i don't even know how to spell it) as you can get. I know for a fact that he had sex with my girlfriends little sister who was 14 at the time, and he still will not admit it. I forgave him. He litters all the time and says that he's creating jobs. He drinks and drives, and i refused to go on our last fishing trip. He thought i was being childish. Recently, he just treated himself for a crab problem; i don't know, some kind of small comb and a solution. I don't want to know more. Anyway, when i'm riding in his truck, he always makes the sign of the cross when passing a church. I thought it was very hypocritical, so when we passed a church, i made the sign of the cross and clapped my hands once. He went off on me, and i let it fly too. I don't know where all this anger came from, but it flowed baby. He came at me, and i blasted him out of the water. I can't believe this idiot thinks he can go to church and wipe the slate clean every sunday. I guess we aren't friends now, atleast that's how i see it. I'm not calling him. We were good friends, and i have good memories, but we went in different directions.
My wife is a Christian (Roman Catholic).
She annoys me sometimes because she will not discuss my "lapse" into athiesm and she discourages my raising the issue with our kids especially as we "married in the catholic church" -I beleived it then. Thats the bad side.
The good side is that I love her and she loves me, good and bad if you know what I mean, and all else dosn't seem to matter that much. We've been together over 27 years now and I feel that my rejection of catholicism in the context of our marriage is just another disagreement between us
Both of us are our own person and in reality this is just another issue we have to get over.
Depends on the individuals involved...I have no issue with being friends with some religious people. I doubt I could have a romantic relationship with one because the worldviews are so far apart.

RtPt

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service