I have recently had cause to ponder the lack of established atheist holidays (etymology of the word holiday notwithstanding). I feel that there must be a number of days that are acceptable cause for celebration for atheists and theists alike. While I admit that some theists would have trouble with celebrating Darwin Day I think that something like Pi day which celebrates a universal constant would be a good compromise.
     I would love to hear suggestions as to what can be done to legitimise and promote atheist holidays. I also believe it would be best if this thread was used for commentary of the promotion of atheist celebrations rather than the bitter rants about Christmas I have encountered elsewhere in the forums.

Tags: holidays

Views: 59

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Unfortunately, I don't have time to comment in full just now. There are two communities on Atheist Nexus where we discuss holidays: one is Celebrate!, and the other is Anthropa. Both have different flavours. There are some links to other groups in Celebrate!, as well as to the Secular Seasons Calendar.
Uh who cares? I celebrate Christmas, and do you know how often the idea of Christ crosses my mind? Never. That's the good thing about calling yourself atheist there is no establishment. I'd rather have no atheistic holidays.
you could always become a devout Pastafarian and celebrate that most Holiest of Holy Days... Friday!

It only comes 52 times a year, but it's a great excuse for some pasta and grog.*

*beer, or according to some of the more progressive sects of Pastafarianism, "whatever alcoholic beverage floats yer boat."
Matthew M: OH so you expect theists to ALSO celebrate these days right along with us? I don't know how that would work out. Personally I celebrate Easter in a secular way; and Christmas. It's possible to take away religious references.

Do you think we could join the environmentalists and celebrate Earth Day on 4/22 in a rational, scientific way? I'm trying to picture the appropriate greeting card we'd need....suggestions anyone??

(PS: When you say Pi day....I'd rather have PIE day.)
YUM...a Pi Pie. That looks mathematically amaaaazing.
Yes it does! I'll have a slice of that..
I'd suggest we celebrate the summer solstice...And Darwin's birthday.
yummy looking! I'd like .15 of it please?
Any holiday is suitable for atheists there are no laws regarding how one celebrates a holiday or what traditions from that holiday one follows. I'm 24 years old and I still enjoy my families egg hunts.
I am also 24 and celebrate many christian holidays with my family simply because it is a family tradition. I enjoy the opportunity to take some time off work and be with the people I love. I just feel that it would be nice if I were free to inform my employer that as an atheist I observe Pi day or Darwin day as part of my beliefs and be granted that day off work as easily as a Jewish person would be granted Yom Kippur. I am fairly certain that if I were to try it my boss would tell me those are not officialy recognized holidays and deny my request. It does not sit well with me that I would be denied freedoms given to religious people simply because of my rational lack of belief in god.
I certainly think you should be able to get for example Pi day off if you celebrate it. It is completely unfair that a request such as you mentioned probably would not be taken seriously by most employers. In this respect I certainly agree with you.
US Thanksgiving does not fill the bill if you know anything about the actual history of the holiday. A Day of Atonement would be more appropriate.

...by 1637 Massachusetts Gov. John Winthrop was proclaiming a thanksgiving for the successful massacre of hundreds of Pequot Indian men, women and children, part of the long and bloody process of opening up additional land to the English invaders. The pattern would repeat itself across the continent until between 95 and 99 percent of American Indians had been exterminated and the rest were left to assimilate into white society or die off on reservations, out of the view of polite society.

Simply put: Thanksgiving is the day when the dominant white culture (and, sadly, most of the rest of the non-white but non-indigenous population) celebrates the beginning of a genocide that was, in fact, blessed by the men we hold up as our heroic founding fathers.

I doubt very much that the Wampanoag refered to themselves as pagans, or that they do now.
they don't seem to teach you that in grade school.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service