I have not been on Atheist Nexus much lately but I have had this list for at least four years and wanted to share it. Here are 55 reasons why religion is bad:

1: Religion was created to control
2: Religion is a lie
3: Religion is condescending
4: Religion is viral
5: Religion is outdated
6: Religion is riddled with moral inconsistencies
7: Religion justifies racism
8: Religion justifies discrimination
9: Religion justifies sexism
10: Religion justifies intolerance
11: Religion justifies slavery
12: Religion justifies child abuse
13: Religion justifies rape
14: Religion justifies murder
15: Religion devalues reason
16: Religion devalues truth
17: Religion devalues humanity
18: Religion uses circular logic
19: Religion contradicts scientifically proven facts
20: Religion restricts free thought
21: Religion restricts freedom of choice
22: Religion restricts scientific progress
23: Religion restricts medical progress
24: Religion restricts social progress
25: Religion represses sexuality
26: Religion restricts sexual freedom
27: Religion restricts safe sex
28: Religion restricts contraceptive use
29: Religion restricts woman's rights
30: Religion promotes non-consensual genital mutilation
31: Religion encourages complacency
32: Religion encourages false information
33: Religion encourages ignorance
34: Religion teaches to be submissive
35: Religion teaches behaviour through authority by means of reward and punishment
36: Religion steals time
37: Religion steals money
38: Religion steals energy
39: Religion steals resources
40: Religion steals knowledge
41: Religion steals lives
42: Religion defines human nature
43: Religion creates psychological problems
44: Religion creates resent
45: Religion creates shame
46: Religion creates guilt
47: Religion creates fear
48: Religion creates stress
49: Religion creates irreconcilable divisions
50: Religion creates violence
51: Religion creates terrorism
52: Religion creates wars
53: Religion destroys relationships
54: Religion destroys families
55: Religion destroys communities

Over the years I have been disliking religion more and more, especially religious people because they are supporters of what is basically crime against humanity. One of these days I will put something on a church to criticize their nonsense.

Views: 2999

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Joan, thanks for that great response.

Every reason in the world has been used to justify every evil perpetuated in the name of someones god.

Will it ever end?

I am not seeing these blanket statements hold for the major religions: Animism, Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Jainism, Taoism - they seem directed towards Islam, Catholicism, and thus Christianity.(??)

For me Liz fundementalists christians are all I know.  They deny evolution,and science. Home school their children to avoid it.  Make changes in public schools to deny it.  In a county with over three hundred churches there are only three methodists and one catholic.  That makes it easy for me to judge from my perspective.  Or, I should say, hard to see from anothers perspective.  My g-sons father, and the rest of my fundie family, are certain he will go to hell because he's gay.  Because being gay is a choice he made.  Also in their hell are catholics.  Because in their words 'they aren't christians'.  And jews and muslims.  Anyone,in fact, who doesn't hold with their beliefs. 

I have a few gay friends but I don't hold to or support the lifestyle. Personally I look at it as a "choice" you have made, and I know that nothing or nobody is going to change that. Certainly no imagined god with an imagined hell is going to change things, so why scare somebody with an imagined satan? What I mean here is that the "gay" things you are doing (male or female) is not going to be changed by threats from others real or imagined, and the average "gay" person is not shaking in fear and guilt because they have a desire to do homosexual things. They are who they think they should be, so leave it alone.

Yes, the average church person adds others to the "hell wagon" and all they have to do is be different. Fundy christians are terrible. I used to be one. Someday they can all say they have arrived in heaven. All 26 of them. Well, maybe not Bobby.

Dennis, I know many people believe homosexuality is a choice, however the evidence is clear and has been shown for many years, that human sexuality is determined by DNA and one has no control over that. 

"the process of determining human sexual orientation is fundamentally the same in all mammals. In this process, four phenotypic dimensions of sexuality develop from two more or less distinct sex genotypes. ... The causes of sexual inversions are categorized as genetic-hormonal, pharmacological, maternal stress, immunological, and social experiential."

Neurohormonal functioning and sexual orientation: A theory of homosexuality–heterosexuality.

"The present study shows sex-atypical cerebral asymmetry and functional connections in homosexual subjects. The results cannot be primarily ascribed to learned effects, and they suggest a linkage to neurobiological entities."

Ivanka Savic and Per LindströmPET and MRI show differences in cerebral asymmetry and functional connectivity between homo- and heterosexual subjects.

There are dozens of other research papers revealing functional connections of homosexuals because of  genetic-hormonal, pharmacological, maternal stress, immunological, neurobiological and social experiential entities. 

To believe homosexual functioning is a choice exists as a remnant of religious prejudices. 

When they say it's a choice...  I know some religious people have accepted the genetic basis of sexuality, but they still feel it's a "choice" whether or not the homosexual individual engages in homosexual behavior.  Like, they'll say you can be born gay, but that doesn't mean you have to have gay sex.  They think of homosexuality as a "test" that god gave some people to overcome.  That's where all the conversion therapy stuff comes in - to try to repress your nature.

For those types of Christians, they'll accept the science, but then they go and make up a bunch of random crap to say how the science doesn't contradict the Bible.  They will continue to feel justified in their hatred for homosexual acts, and they'll be all annoying and say they "hate the sin, not the sinner".  They'd advocate for gays to marry lesbians and to, like, never have enjoyable sex, ever.  That's how god rolls.

Fine ... there are people who were BORN left-handed, but that doesn't mean that they have to WRITE left-handed, right? ... and there are STILL people who have mental issues because they were FORCED TO conform to the majority.

And I'd better stop here before I become incoherently profane... [grumble]

Yup.  Gotta overcome that sinful left-handedness!  

And while you're at it, stay in the closet, marry a nice woman, have some kids, and then destroy their lives when you fake your own death and come crawling back more than a decade later with a gay lover in tow.  True story.

That one deserves a post of its own.  First read - it's impossible not to judge the guy regardless of his issues.

Seems to me he could have found a better way.  For one thing, he should have stayed away.  

That being said, It sounds like the blame for this tragedy can be laid to rest mostly at the feet of religion.

That was kind of a dick move on his part to come back to claim some inheritance money.  Worst way to come out of the closet?

There are a lot of heterosexual marriages where one spouse is actually homosexual, though, and that's definitely a problem caused by religious stigma.  This guy just takes it to an extreme.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service