A whole bunch of people stood around in a light rain on the National Mall in Washington DC today, knowing that the churchies were going to say the lousy weather was baby Jesus weeping on them.

But a few sprinkles didn't deter the thousands of godless atheists who seemed to really enjoy the parade of speakers at the first ever Reason Rally. There was Adam Savage of the Mythbusters television show, for example, who got a huge reaction just for pointing out that the Earth is more than 4 billion years old.

At about 4 pm, headliner Richard Dawkins, author of The Selfish Gene and probably the world's most famous atheist, took to the podium and, in a few lines of impeccable English, explained the meaning of life, disproved the existence of God, and ended the need for any future Reason Rally, ever.

You should have been there.

Anyway, we managed to snap a few photos of the signs that best captured the moment. We hope you find them diverting, heretical, or hilarious, whichever the case may be.

More signs here.

Tags: Reason Rally, Village Voice, signs

Views: 277

Replies to This Discussion

That's one person's perspective, …you have a few more to ask, not just those who attended, but those who couldn't. What's the % of non-believers and secularists again?

This event had a lot to do with rights, constitutional amendments and such, it's not the first of such rallies to be organized by atheists, freethinkers, humanists, ...A. Philip Randolph comes to mind.

This was about sending a message, creating stronger ties within the non-believer community and to serve as a centerpiece for conventions, meetings and planning sessions that have been going on since before the rally and still happening as of tonight.

But, I guess for the more cynical; the platitude, "I guess you had to be there", will have to suffice…. 

I think it was also intended to show people that we are not wild-eyed flaming fanatics. We are their neighbors, co-workers..."ordinary" people.  And we're tired of being pushed around by the Religious Wrong.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service