"Rational arguments don't work with religious people - otherwise there would be no religious people."

"Rational arguments don't work with religious people - otherwise there would be no religious people."  

Sad, isn't it? Will there ever be a way around it?

Tags: Atheism, rational arguments, religious people

Views: 483

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Love this video.

The utter CRAP (or bollocks, since it's an English show and audience) which came from the guy who speaks first completely deserved the response from Ms. Smuirthwaite, and I applaud her for calling a spade a spade.  Would that more such calling bullshit could happen here in the US.  It is far past due.

I suspect there might be something of Aristotle’s modes of persuasion at work here. Indoctrination into religion usually starts early, capitalizing on the authority of both the parents and revered clergy. Then, religion offers emotional enticement (both positive and negative) in the forms of heaven and hell, wish fulfillment, etc. Finally, apologetics uses scientism and twisted reasoning to reinforce the programming.

I submit that atheists rely almost solely on logos (rational arguments) when articulating our doctrine. So, while we may plant seeds of doubt by scoring points on pure reason, we do very little to address the ingrained ethos and pathos of a religious upbringing.

if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice

I want tax status for nontheists as for theists

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEVDZl5UvN4

From my perspective
Atheism is a Religion

Eventually logical arguments will reveal the truth

From Dictionary.com...

re·li·gion

[ri-lij-uhn] Show IPA  

noun
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
(emphasis mine)

a·the·ist

[ey-thee-ist] Show IPA  
noun
a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Gee, they sound almost opposite to me :-)

To me also.

Dictionaries try to describe rather than prescribe usage. I've encountered people using the term "religion" more broadly, sans "superhuman agencies" -- for example, Ethical Culture -- but they're a distinct minority; "religion" usually does imply spooks. Maybe it's time to broaden the word?

Plenty of people would be happy to agree with you. I think giving in to this is a mistake. The motivation for claiming atheism is a religion is usually political and almost never positive. It allows the claimant to make sweeping generalizations about what atheists are, are not, have done and will do. Atheism is merely a lack of theism. Beyond that, what individuals believe is not systematic and does not necessarily follow from their atheism. I'll resist the opportunity to spout some stale platitude about what atheism is like.

Logical arguments are great but they will not reveal the existence of a deity that created and controls the existence of everything. That may only come when that deity chooses to reveal its existence. We may also have some difficulty in pre-determining the size jar in which we will display that deity. I am not arguing in favor of the existence of this hypothetical deity, just trying to demonstrate that it is not necessarily up to the size of our brain as to whether or not that deity exists.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service