According to Norse mythology February 22, 2014 is supposed to be the day that Ragnarok, the Norse apocalypse, is to begin. It's supposed to be a war between the Norse gods and the beings from the underworld. Thor, Odin, Loki, Freya, and all the rest of them are supposed to engage in a battle that will destroy the earth, all mankind, and the gods and underworld beings. Kiss your loved ones, party, enjoy your last few days of life. Nah, I'm betting that the sun will rise on Sunday the 23rd, just like always when someone proclaims the end is upon us.

Tags: End, Of, Ragnarok, World

Views: 207

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Luara,

According to the article I read, which I gave a link to in the blog section, the entire universe, not just a part of it, would collapse into a super dense, super hot ball, of mass/energy the size of a sub-atomic particle. Of course, if inflation in reverse (i.e., deflation) doesn't occur, then, of course it will deflate at light speed. But I tend to believe, based on the physics, that it would happen at inflation speed, only in reverse.

the entire universe, not just a part of it, would collapse into a super dense, super hot ball, of mass/energy the size of a sub-atomic particle. Of course, if inflation in reverse (i.e., deflation) doesn't occur, then, of course it will deflate at light speed. But I tend to believe, based on the physics, that it would happen at inflation speed, only in reverse.

Why do you believe inflation in reverse would happen? I investigated the question a bit online and saw lots of references to a collapse happening at near light speed. But nothing about the collapse triggering inflation in reverse.
I don't know if our area of the universe might be entangled with other areas of the universe, now expanding away from us faster than light speed.
The collapse could already have happened somewhere in the universe.
Or actually, the instability might not really exist - whether it does or not is still up in the air.

"Or actually, the instability might not really exist - whether it does or not is still up in the air."

This is true Luara, it's still up in the air. But, yet, those hypothesized particles that would keep the collapse from eventually happening, have not yet been found to exist in supercollider experiments. Perhaps they will be found eventually, i.e., if the universe doesn't begin collapsing first.

Actually, the only reason I think the universe could collapse at inflation speed, is because, according to science, a black hole is formed from a massive star in mere seconds, once the star begins to collapse under it's own weight, and #2, because inflation happened at the beginning of the universe, according to current data, and Victor Stenger talks of the arrow of time going both ways, that under rare conditions, which have never yet happened, time can reverse itself on the macroscopic level, air could rush back into a deflated tire. Time reversal does happen on the quantum level, but so far, it hasn't yet happened on the macroscopic level.

ps I don't think inflation could happen in reverse, as something that is triggered - because changes in spacetime also travel at the speed of light.  For example, gravitational waves, which are propagating distortions of spacetime, travel at the speed of light. 

Unless there is still quantum entanglement remaining from the Big Bang between different areas of the universe.  Possibly then, one part of the universe could affect another part, faster than the speed of light. 

Quantum entanglement does still exist. Every particle in the universe has a match somewhere else in the universe, with which it is entangled.

Every particle in the universe has a match somewhere else in the universe, with which it is entangled.

Not necessarily. It may be when quantum fluctuations are separated by the Hubble horizon, they become dis-entangled.  The Hubble horizon is the distance at which the stars are receding away from us at the speed of light. 

How inflation would interact with quantum entanglement is not well understood.  Nor is it known if inflation actually happened.

Im stll waiting for the beautiful red rooster Fjalar to warn me. that will be a fowl day indeed.

I'm just looking forward to The Rapture, when Colorado Springs might again become a nice place.

Ah, yes! The Rapture. The "great joy at his appearing" (I call it "beam me up, Scotty.") The big problem with the fundy "doctrine" of the rapture is that fundies claim it takes at least 3 scriptures about something to make that event a "doctrine." Next they "borrow" scriptures that plainly refer to the battle of Megeddo and apply this to the so called "rapture." Fundies want to leave this world and "go to heaven" so badly that they bend scripture in such a way that the docrine is often not sound if you use another translation of the Buybull. This is why they prefer certain translations like King James, etc.

Now we add the fact that when Jeezus comes for us in the clouds he has the souls of the dead with him at that time, and they will be reunited with the dead bodies. I find this amazing because some today deny the ressurection of bodies and claim "your body is not going." More lies are made up all the time.

But I have figured this out! Gawd does want your body. The smell of burned meat is pleasing to him, and he might return to his old habits. This is also what hell is all about! Gawd stores bodies the same way a squirrel stores nuts!

Michael:

I think that those who really believe "End Times" eschatology and apply it to social policy (i.e. GW Bush) are the most dangerous people in the world.  In discussions with my religious friends I've heard arguments for wars as fulfillment of scriptural prophesy.  No matter how many times I hear it, it sends a chill down my spine.

I agree, Ted. They think it's OK if they can justify it by their "big book."

I get less chilled than I do pissed.  It makes me want to ask them, "If you genuinely think the world is coming to an end, What Business Do You Have Making Government Policy?!?"

I would LOVE to hear an answer to that one.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service