According to Norse mythology February 22, 2014 is supposed to be the day that Ragnarok, the Norse apocalypse, is to begin. It's supposed to be a war between the Norse gods and the beings from the underworld. Thor, Odin, Loki, Freya, and all the rest of them are supposed to engage in a battle that will destroy the earth, all mankind, and the gods and underworld beings. Kiss your loved ones, party, enjoy your last few days of life. Nah, I'm betting that the sun will rise on Sunday the 23rd, just like always when someone proclaims the end is upon us.

Tags: End, Of, Ragnarok, World

Views: 207

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wonder if any government leaders have indicated they shape their policy to encourage Armageddon? 

The Muslims and Jews must have similar mythology.  Lots of religions have an end of world mythology.  Whichever religion it is, a fundamentalist leader might shape their policy around it.  They wouldn't necessarily but they might. 

The establishment of the state of Israel has been taken as a sign of the End Times, and perhaps some leaders are pro-Israel because of that. 

Luara, Here you go. Read this:

http://universalheretic.wordpress.com/2009/08/07/did-george-bush-tr...

It answers your question about if any leaders shape their policy around Armageddon theology.

So the suspicion about WMD's in Iraq was just a pretext? 

I'm not convinced by what Chirac said - but then, a US president would unlikely to openly admit such a thing, so such claims are likely to be the best evidence we would have.  Short of leaked recorded conversations of Bushie with advisors, discussing Gog and Magog :) 

There are other possible motives for the war, like to get access to Iraqi oil. Which is itself not a fun idea, that our over-reliance on cars drives us to do dangerous things in the Middle East.

Delusional thinking in our leaders is definitely to be avoided, in any case. 

Delusional thinking in our leaders is definitely to be avoided, in any case.

Amen to that Luara !

Ideally, those who believe that a magic man in the sky is in charge would be kept away from sharp implements, but we only live in the best of all possible worlds, not an ideal one.

23rd and still here. Hmmm...Just like every other apocalypse alarm.

Damn!  I was looking forward to some drama!  Those gods know how to put on a show.....  It's kind of bad that we all die at the end, but everyone has to go sometime.

Not to mention the talking chicken.  That would be really cool to see.

Oh well.  On to the next one.

I do wonder, how did they choose this particular date, in 2014, as their final battle?  It's probably been a while since the legends were started.  Did they just sit down one day and think, "2014, that has a nice ring to it!"

Damn!  I was looking forward to some drama!

There ought to be a special name for the day after an apocalypse. 

Like All Hallow's Eve, or Christmas Eve, but after. 

Like a hangover, only pleasant.  Morning After days. 

"

Damn!  I was looking forward to some drama!

There ought to be a special name for the day after an apocalypse. 

Like All Hallow's Eve, or Christmas Eve, but after. 

Like a hangover, only pleasant.  Morning After days."

Lol, I like it.

When is Satan's arrival scheduled? Gotta put that on my calendar too, and go to church and beg to forgive the sinners on that day!

(Not. Ever.)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service