According to Norse mythology February 22, 2014 is supposed to be the day that Ragnarok, the Norse apocalypse, is to begin. It's supposed to be a war between the Norse gods and the beings from the underworld. Thor, Odin, Loki, Freya, and all the rest of them are supposed to engage in a battle that will destroy the earth, all mankind, and the gods and underworld beings. Kiss your loved ones, party, enjoy your last few days of life. Nah, I'm betting that the sun will rise on Sunday the 23rd, just like always when someone proclaims the end is upon us.
Ragnarok couldn't have less credibility if it were hawked by Harold Camping! See ya on the 23rd!
That's correct, Loren, but it cannot happen. Harold Camping is dead.
LMAO Loren. See ya, 23rd, be there or be square, lol.
So what are you doing for Ragnarok?
Not a whole lot on the 22nd, but on the 23rd, we're going to a play at the Hanna Theater in Cleveland: Deathtrap. Only question I have is: if Ragnarok DOES happen, can we get a refund on our tickets?
So that's why it's been raining so hard.
Why are the gods so bellicose? Maybe one of them just had a bad day and it got out of hand. I would like to see them kiss and make up.
The day when Thor and Loki kiss and make up, I WANT TICKETS!
Times change. I bet they don't even remember what they were fighting about. Maybe they need counseling.
Compelling as this tale is, I don't want to lose my skepticism. From the website viking-mythology.com, there are some signs of the Ragnarok-
1. The god Balder will be murdered. I checked the crime websites. Nothing about Balder, so far.
2. There will be a long and cold winter lasting for three years, with no summer in between. It's been a doozy of a winter, but I vaguely remember there was a summer in 2013. So I think they got this one wrong.
3. The name of these uninterrupted winters are called "Fimbulwinter" During these three years, the world will be plagued by wars, and brothers will kill brothers. The world is plagued by wars, so they got that one right. So that's two signs. But most brothers have not done each other in yet. George W and Jeb are both walking on the earth.
4. A beautiful red rooster "Fjalar" which name means the "All knowner", will warn all the giants that the beginning of Ragnarok has begun. At the same time in Niflheim, will a red rooster warn all the dead, that the war was started. And also in Asgard, will a red rooster “Gullinkambi” warn all the gods. I have not seen any beautiful Red Roosters. Not being a giant, or dead, or a god, it's possible the roosters will not visit me. So this one is a toss-up.
5. Heimdall will blow his horn as loud as he can and that will be the warning for all the einherjar in Valhalla that the war has started. No horns yet. But it's been a while since I've driven in Chicago. Lots of horns there.
My analysis of these predictions is they are inaccurate. Until Balder is murdered, I don't think we have a lot to worry about.
In another websiteEncyclopedia mythica, the end of the world does sound pretty exciting and dramatic -
The wolf Skoll will finally devour the sun, and his brother Hati will eat the moon, plunging the earth [into] darkness.
The stars will vanish from the sky.
The cock Fjalar will crow to the giants and the golden cock Gullinkambi will crow to the gods. A third cock will raise the dead.
The earth will shudder with earthquakes, and every bond and fetter will burst, freeing the terrible wolf Fenrir.
The sea will rear up because Jormungand, the Midgard Serpent, is twisting and writhing in fury as he makes his way toward the land. With every breath, Jormungand will stain the soil and the sky with his poison. The waves caused by the serpent's emerging will set free the ship Naglfar, and with the giant Hymir as their commander, the giants will sail towards the battlefield. From the realm of the dead a second ship will set sail, and this ship carries the inhabitants of hell, with Loki as their helmsman.
The fire giants, led by the giant Surt, will leave Muspell in the south to join against the gods. Surt, carrying a sword that blazes like the sun itself, will scorch the earth.
All quite interesting. And I like the names. They all sound so.... Norse.
Sentient, these myths are pretty cool that you found. As for the part about the stars disappearing from the sky, two physicists (I think) in, I think, Denmark, have determined that because of the properties of the recently confirmed Higgs Boson, if certain other hypothesized particles are not discovered, then the universe will collapse in upon itself into a singularity. The thing is, the physicists say the universe could right now, since these other particles have not yet been confirmed, be collapsing, maybe a billion light years from here. They said if the universe does begin to collapse it could begin anywhere. It could begin right here in our Solar System. If it stared here we would all be dead in a matter of minutes. If it begins a billion light years from us, it would take the collapse a billion years to reach our Solar System, unless something such as inflation happens again, then it would reach us in maybe not even a matter of seconds, because the inflationary beginning was some order of magnitude faster than the speed of light. But they said if these other particles are not discovered to exist, then because of the Higgs Boson, the universe is definitely going to collapse into itself sooner or later. Hmmm...Ragnarok ?
We would not notice that end of the world. It would happen at the speed of light, which is as fast as signals can travel.
If the Higgs vacuum instability collapsed somewhere else in the universe, we might not notice it either, if that part of spacetime is being carried away from us by the expansion of the universe, faster than the speed of light. I'm not totally sure about that - do quantum entanglements still persist despite the expansion of the universe during the time of inflation?
A lot of the other predictions sound like nuclear apocalypse, but nuclear apocalypse does contain a lot of the others, like ice ages, fire, loud noises, earthquakes, tsunamis.