1. Creationists make it sound like a ‘theory’ is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night — Isaac Asimov

2. I don’t believe in God. My god is patriotism. Teach a man to be a good citizen and you have solved the problem of life. — Andrew Carnegie

3. All thinking men are atheists. — Ernest Hemingway

4. Lighthouses are more helpful then churches. — Benjamin Franklin

5. Faith means not wanting to know what is true. — Friedrich Nietzsche

6. The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. — George Bernard Shaw

7. Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile. — Kurt Vonnegut

8. I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. — Frank Lloyd Wright

9. Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. — Denis Diderot

10. A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. — Samuel Clemens

11. The whole thing is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone with a friendly attitude to humanity it is painful to think that the great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of life. — Sigmund Freud

12. Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

13. The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church. — Ferdinand Magellan

14. Not only is there no god, but try getting a plumber on weekends. — Woody Allen

15. It’s an incredible con job when you think about it, to believe something now in exchange for something after death. Even corporations with their reward systems don’t try to make it posthumous. — Gloria Steinem

Any to add my friends?

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Quotes? I collect 'em. Attached pdf of a small collection of atheist related quotations.
Attachments:
Wow, I enjoyed that very much!
Thanks, that's a keeper.

Mind if I ask how you got them and how long collecting? As in were you collecting as a kid from the history books to an adult on the news and such?
I just keep a word doc on my computer and when I come across one on the net or in a book I add it to the list. That particular list I started about a year ago. Of course, some writers like Sam Harris are so quotable that if I added my favorites, I would be copying entire the book. Glad you enjoyed it.

One quote that I picked up from a recent talk by Daniel Dennett when he was talking about theologians spending all their time writing meaningless apologetics: "If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well."
Thanks Hal, I saved that pdf to my documents, I know I'll get a lot of use out of it.
I've chalked quite a few on the University of Melbourne campus, it's killer on the knees.
Here's some great one's by Susan B. Anthony, an atheist and a suffragette.

* To no form of religion is woman indebted for one impulse of freedom...

* I can't say that the college-bred woman is the most contented woman. The broader her mind the more she understands the unequal conditions between men and women, the more she shafes under a government that tolerates it.

* Many abolitionists have yet to learn the ABC of woman's rights.

* Modern invention has banished the spinning wheel, and the same law of progress makes the woman of today a different woman from her grandmother.

* There never will be complete equality until women themselves help to make laws and elect lawmakers.

* Woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself.

* The religious persecution of the ages has been done under what was claimed to be the command of God.

* There is not the woman born who desires to eat the bread if dependence, no matter whether it be from the hand of father, husband, or brother; for any one who does so eat her bread places herself in the power of the person from whom she takes it.

* I think the girl who is able to earn her own living and pay her own way should be as happy as anybody on earth. The sense of independence and security is very sweet.
13. The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church. — Ferdinand Magellan.

Was this a creation of Robt. Ingersoll?
Yeah, as far as I know he Magellan ripped it off from one of Ingersoll's speeches, nevertheless Magellan's was the one to become famous for it.

Otherwise I'd have to research the rest.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Joseph P replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Thigh Bone on Mars? in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 minutes ago
Sentient Biped added a discussion to the group Justice For All
3 minutes ago
Deidre32 commented on Deidre32's blog post The Problem of Miracles
3 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Thigh Bone on Mars? in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
3 minutes ago
leveni posted a discussion
12 minutes ago
Rob Nash updated their profile
21 minutes ago
Nick Bottom commented on Deidre32's blog post The Problem of Miracles
31 minutes ago
Larry Taylor replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
50 minutes ago
Nick Bottom replied to DeafAtheist's discussion Introductions in the group Signing Atheists
51 minutes ago
Deidre32 commented on Deidre32's blog post The Problem of Miracles
53 minutes ago
Deidre32 posted a status
"Ah, my favorite part of the week. The week END! :-D may everyone here have a good one!"
59 minutes ago
Nick Bottom joined DeafAtheist's group
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service