There was a peculiar letter in the local paper today from one Boyce "Coach" Honea, the "area director" of something called the Coastal Bend [Gulf Coast of South Texas] Fellowship of Christian Athletes," a letter that the editor titled "Double standards hard to understand."  The five-paragraph letter is redundant, its point being made in the opening paragraph, which reads: "I read on the Internet [sic] the other morning that HBO host Bill Maher had made an extremely vulgar and vile statement (too vulgar to print) about Tim Tebow and Jesus.  Just a couple of years ago, a radio host was fired for making a racial statement about a basketball team.  Will HBO fire Bill Maher?  Probably not."

The second paragraph noted that Tebow actually insisted and was permitted to change his jersey number to "John 3:16."  The third paragraph noted that several other athletes were ordered to NOT place scripture on eye-patches yet nobody complained of their tattoos. (N.B. There is a specific prohibition of any "marking of the skin" in the Booble's O.T.  Yes!  Here we are bad rapping tattoos just because some five to seven thousand year-old book says it is a no-no.  Tebow must have been reminding himself all through the last game he played, yet his team lost.  Just goes along with Burroughs' observation one can pray in one hand and shit in the other; see which fills up faster.  Yet the area director wrote: "Double standard!"  No kidding, with an exclamation point.

The fourth paragraph ended with the same "Double standard" exclamation point.  It compared kneeling in prayer at public schools with doing the "Moonwalk" in public schools, which begs so many questions it is hilarious.  Begin with comparing pomegranates with tangelos, throw in proper time-and-place, and add a dash of dogmatic nonsense and voila!  Double standard ("!").  Finally, the director pointed out what a great role model Tebow is, not drinking, not smoking, not using drugs, a person who is waiting on marriage to have sex, polite, hard-working, goes on missionary [read proselytizing] trips in the summer.  Founded an orphanage, and so forth.  "But because of his Christian faith some seem to hate him.  This is very hard to understand.  However, Jesus did say this would happen.  Read John 15:18-19."

Ah!, the last refuge of the believer: the Booble.  The very thing that allows them to say they believe in the first place.  Non-Believer: Why do you believe in God?  Believer: The Booble tells me so.  Non-Believer: Where does it say that?  Believer: "I am the Lord thy God.  Thou shalt have no other Gods before me."  Non-Believer: Doesn't that imply that there are a lot of gods around?  Believer: God said it and that's good enough for me.  Never mind that it makes no sense for someone to say they believe in something because a book tells them to.  Never mind that if one says "I believe in the God because the Booble says so" one has voiced the very epitome of circular reasoning.  Never mind that there isn't a shred of factual evidence that Jebus ever existed.  Never mind that God is so capricious he has Tebow praying to him all though the game but He lets the star's team lose.  An all powerful good god would not have let Tebow down that way.  Would he?

I pray, too.  I pray to Science, Reason, and Chaos.  And to the memory of Darwin, Hitchens, and Carl Sagan, and all the freethinking men and women who ever spoke out against mass delusions.

Views: 220

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You're not suggesting a...er...a double standard, are you?  ;-)))

Of course not.  ;-)

Footballs are no longer (if they ever were) made of pigskin. Muslims would be okay playing football.

The NFL should just start setting up little religious kioks for all their players to worship before the game. A little bit of wicca, judaism, muslim, scientology, buddism... all bases covered, you know? I suspect that the NFL and it's supporting public would not go for that. But hey, bowing to invisible things wherever the heck one feels like it? Sure, why not. Ugh. Okay, maybe a good idea to explain to my child how ridiculous this is.

I hope there is at least one sci-fi fan playing in the NFL. He could do the "boom-shaka-laka" dance from Babylon 5.

..Though they already kind of do that for touchdowns. Nevermind.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service