Guys, gals and those of random and/or indeterminate persuasion,

I've decided to go ahead and read all or most of what Ingersoll wrote, including his speeches. For those knowledgeable regarding all things Ingersollish, is there any benefit to reading it in chronological order or did he present a fully formed argument out of the gate?

I'm thinking there might be some benefit to seeing his thought process and the resulting ideas develop along the way.

Tags: Ingersoll, agnosticism

Views: 122

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would read "About the Holy Bible" to begin - and then start on the lectures and other works.

That's just my opinion though.

As near as I can tell, here is the link to his collected works, which are free. It's at www.infidels.org.

Thanks peeple.

I'll get started on downloading from one of those sources. I'll probably pass on ibooks, especially if they're charging for something that old. I have an older Sony reader that I manage with Calibre. It's not cutting edge but I'm just so happy I can read again.

Even though nobody has chimed in with directions to read him in chronological order I may do so anyway. I found a site that lists all his communications in order.

Appreciate the comments.

No, there not necessarily in chronological order, but they do list the dates most of the writings were made.

Mathew,

I've found a website that lists pretty much everything he did in chronological order. In my original post, I was requesting advice as to whether or not it made any difference what order I read his works. I find in some cases, it helps to understand the author better when you can see the evolution of their thinking. It's a minor question though. I'll probably read the bulk of his work in order but slip in some of the later works just out of curiosity (can't help myself).

From what I can see, as with most speakers, certain speeches are repeated over time. I'm interested to see if those evolved as well or if they were repeated verbatim.

I don't "hate" Apple. I'd just rather get this stuff elsewhere. I've been irritated with them ever since both Amazon and Barnes and Noble eliminated their presence as itunes apps. I had money credited with itunes that suddenly became less useful when that happened. Most of that now goes to buying my son useless games he can play on my itouch. At least he's happy.

Ingersoll is good, but repetitive. You will not be reading the works of a philosopher who developed his ideas over a span of time, but an exposition of the same ideas many times with different examples. Ingersoll was a marvelous speaker according to those who heard him and a man of such great charm that even those who thought he was an instrument of the devil still liked to listen to him. He had wit, humanity, and insight in his speeches, but philosophically they are not deep.

Susan Jacoby has just published a new biography of Ingersoll titled The Great Agnostic. What I've read of it so far is excellent.

I'm on it. Thanks for that tip.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service