I am writing an opinion piece and would like participation in this informal survey. I know the question is fundamentally wrong, but it is to help keep the selection narrow:

How were you convinced you to become an Atheist?

(Select the most applicable single answer)

A)     A billboard

B)      A book

C)      A miracle

D)     I’m not an atheist

E)      I don’t know

F)      I wasn’t convinced, it was a realization of who I was

G)     A specific person (not an authored book)

H)     I was mad at my god(s)

I)        I have always been an atheist

J)       My god is an atheist, therefore I am an atheist

K)      By physical or verbal threats

L)       I signed a contract and now I’m stuck being an atheist

M)   I had to become atheist to marry my spouse

N)     Atheists are cool, and I wanted to be like them

O)     Other (please explain in one sentence)

Views: 74

Replies to This Discussion

No one but myself.

G, my 7th grade science teacher! I don't even know if he was an atheist!

I think G.,N. ,& O.

I saw what great thinkers could do once they cut loose from the religious jargon of mental fog bank religion holds forth as knowledge. If this were compressed into a single person it would be Carl Sagan. The grace of proper perspective can't be faked. Religious people keep appearing to me as full blown dumb asses who evade causality. The software upgrade bombed. Luddites seeking more luddites bore me.

I would say F. But also have to include B. When I was much younger I decided to actually read the bible. Didn't take long to realize what utter BS that it contained.

This is a late response but I'd have to say F, B ( though it was multiple books), G , and O. Since for most people ( in my observable experience) come to the realization that they are atheist after long dragged out periods of time it is difficult to pin it on one event.

As for O, things I saw and read on the Internet. The Atheist Experience and info on the Council of Nicea to name two off hand.

Mostly F)...  I was more interested in facts of science and mathematics as a child, and matters of the divine seemed useless to me.

I would say, though, that much of my later exposure to expressions of religion (particularly after I entered the U.S.), and many of the typical atheist literature did inspire me to be more vocal in my disapproval.

O) Revelation, the Invisible Pink Unicorn* came in a dream to reveal to me the truth of atheism.

* I couldn't see anything so it must've been the Invisible Pink Unicorn.

Both F and G.

I was the one who convinced me, but the way this happened was in my realizing that I already was an atheist.

I have to go with F also I read the bible that convinced me and the amount of nastiness towards humans that was a major one.
O) Sitting on the agnostic fence became monotonous.

An addendum. I'm wondering if others had found the change, or part of it, traumatic.

Getting down from the agnostic fence required only an easy jump. Climbing onto the fence fifty years earlier, after twelve years in Catholic schools (for which I do not thank my dad) required me to make a lot of new brain connections. When my mom told me I was going to college because I was too lazy to find and keep a job, she broke the connections that 12 years of Catholic dogma had made.

It hurt, and knowing she wouldn't have said that unless my dad had agreed, I threw them out of my life. After three years I made an uneasy truce. One day, her manner very different, she told me a woman she had met in PTA had congratulated her on my graduation. My dad's offer to loan me money for a year of graduate school surprised me; it may have been his way of making amends.

Telling myself that parents have to earn honor was a part of my breaking with Catholicism.

I)        I have always been an atheist

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service