Putting together a book on religions and evolution. Advice and help.

Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post.

I really love debating religion and politics but I don't always have the sources readily available. I'm starting to put together a book that has points and other facts supporting evolution and science while also using verses from the bible and other religious texts that either contradicts or do not support what many religious followers preach and practice. I want it to be straight forward with specific credible sources readily available.

I read as much as I can about all religions and I enjoy documentaries. I'd like this communities' help to let me know of books, documentaries,. or whatever to help me put this together. I plan on reading The God Delusion and God is not Great, I just haven't gotten around to them yet so please don't mention those. I've said it once, but I'm looking for specific credible resources to put in it. It would be great if I could get some sources related to the points of evolution that Christians like to attack.

I would like for this to address religions other than Christianity if possible, so sources related to Islam or any other religion would be appreciated as well.

One last thing, I'm putting this together for my own personal use.

Tags: christianity, debating, religion

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A good starting point for you would be to read through the Secular Web Library, http://www.infidels.org/library/
If you look in the Scriptures forum, there is a link to the documentary The Lost Gospels. Well worth a watch. Dawkins also made his own documentary about evolution theory, it might be a good additional source sine the God Delusion primarily focuses on how to debunk the possibility of a god with current modern facts than explaining these facts. There is also a documentary about the focus of death in Christianity out there, I never managed to see it myself (a pity, I really wanted to) and I guess you might find some interesting points in there as well. And of course, Zeitgeist, the religious part is a good debunking on Christianity and Judaism.

These are just starters, I am not sure of what you already know and what you've seen, but I throughly enjoyed all the documentaries I've listed except the one about death in Christianity since I haven't seen it yet.
On the topic of evolution vs. creationism/ID, there's no better place to start your research than at the talk.origins archive. (I warn you though, although the introductions are easily accessible to laypeople, some of the best material can be quite technical in concept.)
Specifically, you'll want to look through the Index of Creationism Claims.

For a more humorous take on the issue, Things Creationists Hate provides laughs along with the rational thinking.

Good luck on your book!
Thanks a lot for all the advice so far. You've helped me quite a lot so far and my book is coming along quite nicely I think.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service