Hey campers! How was your break? (she says, excusing herself from the fact that life caught up with her and she's completely neglected the group.)

For conveniences-sake we're going to say I left you all in a den of bears and now I'm coming to save you.

So the good and bad pieces of my asexuality been on my mind a lot recently.

I thought maybe we could all make a list of the things that frustrate us, and the things that we like. You can use it whether you have a lack or desire, or just aren't having sex, etc. Whatever your current sexual state is.

For Me:

Pros:
-I don't have to be horny and/or distracted by it
-I have more time for anything and everything else
-I'm less likely to slip up and do something stupid
-My judgment is less clouded
-No complicated sex-buddy scenarios
-No chance of pregnancy
-A clean record, no rumors, slander...
-A good excuse, I guess
-Less attachment, more freedom

Cons:
-People mock it or hold it against me
-People don't understand, or think something is wrong (could be, I guess)
-I sometimes feel abnormal or like a freak
-I have to watch others in relationships, and it can take friends away
-I get frustrated with my inability to "want" or even enjoy
-It can end up hurting people
-I worry about my ability to maintain a good relationship
-Lack of the release that sex is supposed to bring
-Confusion as to what sex gives and truly is supposed to be

My con list may be pretty long but all in all it's kind of nice to live without that distraction. A lot of my cons have to do with confusion, and with the frustrations that come from other people.

What do you think?

Views: 82

Replies to This Discussion

I'd have to say that despite the fact I have had sex I would consider myself asexual.

I'm almost completely immune to flirting, I almost never know when someone is trying to do it with me, it takes a third party to explain to me someone is interested in me.

I don't recall any point in my life where I actually engaged in any sexual activity that wasn't initiated by the girl I was in a relationship with. This has led to break-ups because it made them feel like they weren't doing it right, or I simply didn't want to have sex with them.

I guess to me sex is something I expect will be part of a normal relationship, but I see it as less important than remembering to brush my teeth everyday.
Sex can be a distraction for people, keeping them from doing something more productive. But at the same time, someone's "muse" can inspire them to do creative works.
Yup, that's one of the things I was talking about, in my previous post. It's a love-hate relationship.
Jezzy, don't you think sexual activity is totally dependant on your physical, mental, financial and opportunistic abilities? A lot of your pros you list could also be true if you were in a relationship that you trust and the finances to continue doing it. The way the world is set up as it is now sexuality is only rewarded to the socially similar group, which is the elite and the religious believers. If you are an atheist you are a minority and often do not get socially rewarded for it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service