http://www.lifenews.com/2011/08/01/florida-gov-rick-scott-holds-pro...

wow culty brainwash much!?
figures the cathlics are posting up there bannerwise...

so lame. such a waste. I thought the economy was hurting!?

Views: 320

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I see nothing precious about life, except as we subjectively value it.  The lives of Afghans and Pakistanis taken by Mrkn violence are hardly deemed precious, any more than the life of the housefly we swat.  We save the seals, but ignore the herring the seals murder and the krill the herring devour, etc., etc., et tedious cetera.

We don't ask for the lives we die of, and they beat our butts to make us breathe.  Once we've arrived here, of course, we have the instinct to survive, but escaping the whole mess looks pretty good to me.  Heinrich Heine:  "Sleep is sweet; death is sweeter; best of all never to have been born."

So my life is "precious" to me, in that I have the instinct to continue it.  The lives of friends and family are precious to me, for totally selfish reasons.   (Another of my beliefs--no one EVER acted unselfishly.) 

Life total:  the loa loa worm?  dracunculiasis?  the polio virus?  the smallpox virus? 

All life is parasitic.  (Just throwin' that out there.)

A final thought: life is far too important and absurd to take seriously.

I get what you are saying Brian.

Alll life is precious

Wow that's so true Brian, never thought about diseases.  Not too precious to us now hunh.  I will say I feel that I live for my kids and I'd die for them.  MY happiness in life is seeing THEM happy, so maybe that's selfish in a way?  don't know, but it's something to think about! 

The action is considered selfish because you receive benefits in return for what you give up. Saying that your kids happiness is more important than your own is illogical because your kids being happy makes you happy. Its considered by some to be sophistry though, since it could be said that you are redefining happiness. Philosophy is pretty much all about redefining anyways.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service