So i meant this title as a satrical allagory to a real problom I have with religeon. (and hoping this is a proper forum post and not best a blog).

My Mother has Lupus (a disease that causes her own immune system to attack itself) and I have in my adulthood, come to terms with this as just a fact of life and a fact that could be much worse considering the circumstances. I however, HATE when I here anyone say "well god has his hand there" and my favourite "he will never give you more than you can handle".

Isn't that an interesting statement? "he'll never give us more than we can handle"...well that's presuming alot so i suppose 'god' could do that...but isn't that still kind of a dick move? I mean what? He'll give us just enough to make us reach the breaking point? In order to make us rely on him? That would be like I don't know, torture?

My contention lies with folks that beleive so strongly that in the face of obvious contradictions with there own god concept would even find comfort in "praise god my house still stands". Oh and i'm an ex christian school kid (12 years, family is evangelical) so I know the job thing, how is that not effed up? I mean god had a bet with satan?! lol?

What really gets me pissed off is that they find some divine purpose for exscusing theire own god's behaviour. I'm often asked what I would do if I was ever to meet god (usually the judeo-christian one) and I answer "spit in his eye".

Harsh, but I feel any suffering is Inexcusable. Period. Dot.

-cheers

Views: 296

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If I met him/it, I would hope he/it would not be am mine to bullets. 

The idiocy of this outlook by theists is often found in their statements in reaction to disasters - natural or otherwise. Tornadoes, hurricanes, airline crashes, etc. In the wake of massive destruction, with tens or hundreds dead, some moron will praise god for saving a puppy, or kitten, or family photo album.

Bill Maher summed it up best when he he commented on the Dutch airline crash in May of 2010, in Libya, where every passenger died except one young boy. It wasn't a miracle that only 1 out of 104 persons lived. It was god blowing a no-hitter in the bottom of the 9th.

Meet him? Probably hand him an arrest warrant for mass murder.

Firstly, thank you for being one person who understands what the blog section is supposed to be for, and what doesn't belong there; seriously …you obviously "get it".

Second: This?

"I'm often asked what I would do if I was ever to meet god (usually the judeo-christian one) and I answer "spit in his eye"."

Perfect.

Thanks.

We atheist wouldn't have to do anything his Christian followers would kill him first.  How dare he return and stop the biggest money making fraud perpetrated on humankind. 

My favourite ancient Greek Philosopher: "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

If I were a lawyer my case and point would be yahweh's chosen people, the nomadic tribes of the Bronze Age north eastern african continent...kinda effed them over...so I'm sure there is an explenation...

I'm just ranting and thank you for the responses...

-cheers

Therein lays the problem with simplistic fantasical thinking.

God will never give us more than we can handle.

What an utter load of horse hockey.  How many men and women has this ersatz deity driven to suicide with loads they were supposedly able to bear, except that they weren't?  And for those who may have survived, how many have been broken by circumstances, by war, by PTSD, to the point where the person before the event hardly resembles the person after?

Probably a good thing that there is no such thing.  His fan club would likely be badly outnumbered by those who would want to lynch him!

I was just going to ask "what about people who commit suicide?", but you beat me too it Loren.  I say to people who ask me what if I'm wrong, and I "meet god" when I die.  I say I'll tell him what a Sonofabitch he is.

My (Christian) wife is asking me to read a book titled "Disappointment with God', which apparently tries to explain in several thousand words or so, why it is that the man upstairs doesn't seem to answer our prayers.I will probably read it (or get as far as i can before I can't stand anymore) just to see the lengths to which true believers will twist and turn things in order to hang on to their beliefs (hey people, hint: he doesn't answer prayers because he isn't really there).I can tell it will be be a tough read, as I read in the first chapter, the author, Phillip Yancy, describes a homosexual friend who, after failing to be "cured" of his homosexuality despite his prayers, gives up on his religion and returns to his life of "promiscuity", because, apparently to this author, all gays are bad people and promiscuous. And so God has 101 reasons for not answering prayers, or more likely, he answers in ways we do not at first recognize.Let's see how many of you can guess the ways god doesn't answer prayers and I will let you know who got it right after I finish the book.

Hey, Mark.

The title of this video may be a bit misleading, but it makes a great point of the problem of christian (or any religion's) prayer:

Give that a look and let us know what you think.

Of course he didn't need to be cured-sorry I didn't make that clear,but I live on the Left Coast, and some things are just a given here.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service