Practical & cultural reasons behind religious doctrine

Does anybody know of a site which gives the practical and cultural reasons behind some of the supposed moral imperatives in religious teachings? I'm thinking of things like the 'no eating shellfish' thing being there to prevent food poisoning.

I was specifically looking for the reasons behind the 'no sex before marriage' and homophobic stuff but am interested in finding the reasons behind other things too. I reckon that studying nomadic tribes would reveal a lot of the answers but I know even less about them than I do about the Bibble!

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I suppose that since, back in the day, children were exchanged as marital trading chips so it would make sense that wouldn't want the goods spoiled before hand.
"Does anybody know of a site which gives the practical and cultural reasons behind some of the supposed moral imperatives in religious teachings?'

A couple of ideas;

(1) Pragmatic; Mosaic law was set over 3000 years ago. No refrigeration.Shellfish goes off very quickly,and also absorbs toxins easily. Likewise with pork,which also can also have a parasite, trichina spralis ,which causes the disease trichinosis. It can survive to harm humans who eat the pork ,unless it is very thoroughly cooked.

(2) Cultural: Both shellfish and pigs are seen as UNNATURAL: Shellfish live in the sea but are not fish. Pigs have cloven feet but do not chew the cud. These creatures don't fit the traditional Jewish view of the natural order.

There may also be pragmatic reason for [male]circumcision in dry sandy countries,among nomadic people with poor static hygiene

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinella_spiralis

Pigs may also carry a tape worm, Taenia solium

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taenia_solium
Yes. Ted Talks have an interesting video on this very subject...I believe the url to it is her on AN,but i forget where.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Cory "The Fox" posted a discussion
5 minutes ago
Katie Kat updated their profile
27 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Adam's discussion Political Ideology
34 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Adam's discussion Political Ideology
53 minutes ago
Christian Soldier replied to Adam's discussion Political Ideology
56 minutes ago
Joan Denoo liked Deidre32's blog post Are you a spiritual atheist?
57 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Deidre32's discussion Happy Labor Day!
1 hour ago
k.h. ky replied to Deidre32's discussion Happy Labor Day!
1 hour ago
Deidre32 replied to Deidre32's discussion Happy Labor Day!
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Deidre32 replied to Deidre32's discussion Happy Labor Day!
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service