I received an Expositor's Study Bible from my mom. It has Jimmy Swaggart's interpretation of the different verses written in red (underlined here). I thought some on here might like to see the interpretations of different verses. I'll start:

Psalms 137:8-9
8 O daughter of Babylon, who is to be destroyed; happy shall he be, who rewards you as you have served us. It seems this Prophesy was given before Babylon was destroyed and promised its destruction.

9 Happy shall he be, who takes and dashes your little ones against the stones. The language is figurative. Babylon represents idolatry; her children are the idol images beloved to her. To destroy these is indeed happiness to the servants of Truth.

It is very interesting to me to read through the verses that are so full of murder, blood, vengeance (on the part of God) and see how Swaggart spins it. Anyone have another verse for me to look up?

Views: 134

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How about where the Hebrews are commanded to kill all the inhabitants of Jericho? How do you spin that one?

And I have wanted an explanation of the instruction not to wear clothes made of more than one sort of fibre for ages!
yes, mixed fibre - i looked it up.

Leviticus 19:19 - Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee.

It really sucks to quote bible verses for some reason
Leviticus 19:19
You shall keep My Statutes. You shall not let your cattle gender with a diverse kind: you shall not sow your field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and wool come upon you. (The spiritual application of this Passage presently has to do with the mixing of false doctrine with the True. Paul said: "You cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils" [I Cor 10:21]. Hooker says: "He cannot love the Lord Jesus with all his heart who lends one ear to His Apostles and another to false teachers".
I'd like to hear what he says about Deuteronomy 22:22-29
Deuteronomy 22:22-29
22 If a man be found lying with a woman married to an husband, then they shall both of them die, both the man that lay with the woman, and the woman: so shall you put away evil from Israel.
23 If a damsel who is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her;
24 Then you shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and you shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city; and the man, because he has humbled his neighbour's wife: so you shall put away evil from among you. (This was the case with the young woman who was brought to Jesus by the Pharisees, described in John 8:1-11. The difference is, they brought the young woman to Jesus, but didn't bring the man. They were quite ready to stone her, which they used to entrap Christ. Of course, their scheme didn't work; however, the Law had to be kept by Christ. So, how could He say to her, knowing that without a doubt she was guilty of adultery, "Neither do I condemn you: Go, and sin no more"? [Jn. 8:11]. He kept the Law perfectly by dying in her place, exactly as He did for all of us; therefore, the Law was kept perfectly.)
So... we shouldn't punish lawbreakers because Jesus was punished in their place? Excuse me, I'm going to go rob the liquor store.
This is a famous Christian Trump Card (CTC from now on). They drop it anytime a question comes up about the OT laws and punishments. Jesus dropping it, though? Really. He hadn't died on the cross yet, so apparently NO ONE needed punished during his whole lifetime since he was GONNA die for them. And why the "technicality" of not having the man who sinned with her there? Who cares, he was covered!

p.s. I'm almost out of gin, could ya?
Genesis 19:30-36
Genesis 19
30 And Lot went up out of Zoar, and dwelt in the mountain, and his two daughters with him; for he feared to dwell in Zoar (having disobeyed the Lord, Lot now lives in fear; he is fearful that God will destroy Zoar as well, so he moves to a nearby mountain): and he dwelt in a cave, he and his two daughters (his wealth had once been so great that he and Abraham could not dwell together because of the size of their herds; but now he is living in a cave, with this being his miserable home; wealth or no wealth, there is no profit in going in the direction of Satan).
31 And the firstborn said unto the younger, Our father is old, and tehre is not a man in the Earth to come in unto us after the manner of all the earth (the preservation of the family line was important in ancient times; since Lot was old and now poor, with all his belongings destroyed along with Sodom, his daughters saw no prospect of marriage; so now, they will commit a monstrous sin):
32 Come, let us make our father drink wine (the second occasion in the bible that the word "wine" is used indicating intoxicating beverege, the first occasion being that of Noah [9:20-22]; the only course for the Child of God is total abstinence as it regards any and al intoxicating beverage), and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father. (His own daughters make him drunk, and in his drunkenness, he becomes the instrument of bringing into existence the Ammonites and the Moabites - the determined enemies of the people of God. What a volume of solemn instruction is here!)
33 And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose (this was no drunken orgy, but still, it was a revolting sin; the cause was lack of faith, as the cause of all sin is lack of faith).
34 And it came to pass on the morrow, that the firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also' and you go in and lie with him, that we may preserve the seed of our father. (the details of this account clearly show that Lot, when he went to the mountain cave, endeavored to escape from his problems, not by carrying them to the throne of God, where all Believers should carry them, but by drowning them in dissipation).
35 And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down nor when she arose (considering that these girls had been raised in Sodom, at least for a good part of their lives, it is not strange that the older daughter suggested incest as the only way they could preserve the family line' they had been greatly influenced by the low moral standards of their environment).
36 Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father (after this, Lot disappears from sacred history, not even his death being recorded' even though there is no Biblical record, it is believed that Abraham took Lot and his daughters into his home and supported them).
I accidently watched Jimmy Swaggert the other day and they were debating the End of the World. At then at the end he made me laugh by saying that while what they said is probably how it will happen they were just speculating.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service