I was reading an article about how our government needs to change its fiscal policies to account for an aging population.  In the comments on the story, someone claimed that there is actually a population implosion, a negative growth rate world-wide, and that population overgrowth is a myth.

I was unable to find anything in a quick Google search that looked reliable to support this idea.  (one page, the article was used to support anti-abortion laws - like forcing women to bear children is the solution...IF there is even a problem).

Is there any science supporting this? 

Views: 298

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Each group of immigrants wants to be the last.  There was a time when americans were afraid and prejudiced against all of the germans coming to the US.  There was a time when the irish were going to ruin the country, reproduce like crazy, and overrun the country with catholics.  And the italians.  "It's OK that my family got in  - now lock the doors so no other dirty immigrants can pollute the country!"
@ Daniel young, are they trying to bring Sharia law in?

Not on a political level, to my knowledge there has been no law proposed based on Sharia law.

But Sharia law is being imposed on the sub-cultural level. Forced marriage only within their culture, female mutilation, honor violence, compulsory veiling....

This is quite evident.

the old can't expect for the young to automatically take care of them.  children do not exisst solely to take care of parents.  they have their own lives.  throughout life, people need to make decisions knowing that they may one day grow old.  societies also need to make those decisions, and have investment and structures in place to care for the old.  i am not callous - i spend years involved in, and paying for, my elderly parents' care.  i tried to get them to move in with me as well, although they would not.  i also know that many people can't take care of themselves now, let alone 20 years from now.  but still, as a society we need to know that our members will age, and plan for that.  that doesn;t mean reproducing like crazy.
Yes the wealthy white (including the Japanese) majorities in the industrialized countries are succumbing to population shrinkage. But the population in rest of the world, especially in Africa, is exploding.
I don't see how forcing women to bear children is the solution to supposed population implosion since we're horrendously overpopulated right this minute. I wish the population was shrinking : /
The world is overpopulated.  The major industrialized nations are depopulating because of low birth rate and immigration controls.

"The major industrialized nations are depopulating because of low birth rate and immigration controls."

Immigration controls? HA I think not- the flood gates have been open for years.

More interesting is exactly why the birth rate is falling in the supposedly 'wealthy industrialized nations' ... it seems both the wealth (for the majority of people) and the industrialization is a thing of the past in 'developed' nations.

I don't know - I think "floodgates" are more than you are looking for.  Per Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_immigration_to_the_United_S...

in 1850, almost 10% of Americans were foreign born.  And that was before the big waves that brought my grandparents here.

I think falling birth rate in the G8 is due to education and other factors that spark discussions like this one. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service