http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21391389 

This is unusual. The last one was nearly comatose during the end of his contract. Why the change of tradition in an organization that is entirely, and rigidly, traditional?

Views: 431

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Male - obviously 

Maybe under 65, but no younger than 60

Married - again, obviously not - but that doesn't mean he's a virgin by any stretch!

European or North American is my guess. I'll put a buck ($1.00 US) on Timothy Dolan of New York. He's jovial, serious, really good on camera (lot's of training on how to deal with the press), so conservative he's three shades to the right Herman Goering, a staunch defender of the institution while crushing the victims of child abuse with a bulldozer - all with a smile and/or the eyeglasses on the nose serious look, and to old Catholic women who pray to Jesus on the velvet painting with Elvis, he's a sex symbol. 

Then again, I have the papers from a bishop of the Doctrine of the Congregation of Faith (Inquisition) officially excommunicating the Church from my life, so what the hell do I know?

I think he's sick and knows he's going to die, and wants to name his successor.  No evidence for that, but I have a suspicious mind.

I seriously doubt he will out-and-out "name" a successor publicly.  What he WILL do is lobby the College of Cardinals about his interests and desires regarding just WHO the white smoke should puff for, along with the too-usual "Vow Of SECRECY!!!" (Ooooooo!).  As regards that last, let's be real, here: those guys couldn't do something transparently if their lives depended on it.  The problem is that the situation is getting to the point were their lives, or at least their livelihoods WILL depend on dealing with the priest child abuse scandal with a degree of openness that none of them are used to.

Regardless of whom they elect, the next pontiff will be facing a shit storm, and the way he deals with it may determine how well (and how LONG!) the catholic church can sustain itself in an era when hostility toward the church is increasing by the day.

Loren, I get the feeling you are not impressed by the catholic leadership?  Maybe even that you don't trust them!

Benedict has said that he will not apply any pressure on the College of Cardinals with his suggestions for a successor.

I would also point out that he has been exceedingly frail in recent public appearances, and has been told not to travel by physicians.

While we like to pick on the pope (or any Christian leader), there is no particular reason to assume anything other than what he has said about his resignation than what he claims: that he is too elderly and ill to continue ruling the Church. There is a difference between scepticism, evidence, and speculation.

Even the Vatican itself was suprised by the announcement. As noted in the English language edition of L'Osservatore Romano (the official newspaper of the Holy See - article continues at this link

Dismay, surprise, astonishment and emotion were the immediate reactions to Pope Benedict XVI’s announcement to “renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome” in the Consistory Hall on Monday, 11 February. These sentiments were etched on the faces of the cardinals, bishops and prelates — assembled for the Ordinary Public Consistory — who heard the startling announcement in the Pope’s own voice.

Eyes met and a murmur grew in the hall as surprise faded into sorrow. However, after the first few minutes of confusion, the unanimous recognition of the Pope’s extraordinary act of humility rippled through the hall. In addition to the Cardinals, among those present were the papal masters of ceremony, representatives of the postulations, choristers of the Sistine Chapel Choir, papal chair bearers and technicians.

I'm not sure I would believe Benedict's claims about his planned behavior.  So I would remain skeptical.  You are right, the rest is speculation.  

I read that at least some in the Vatican knew of his plan to retire, and that his retirement home has been under construction for some time. I guess for everyone else, "what's going on with that building" was answered by "It's a surprise!".  Probably most did not know.

I was searching the CBS News website for stories related to the whole priest child abuse scandal and found the following.  In the light of Benedict's pending departure, I thought it was interesting, particularly one element which is mentioned toward the end of the piece:

======================

======================

And yes, I mean the issue of resignation.  Worthy of note: this report was filed on 18 April, 2010!

Hah! The butler did it! That's probably why he was spared jail time for the theft of J.R.'s papers - the Firm got the worst of them back. Just a possibility. Do you think there may still be a rack in the basement?

yes, in reality, there's only one way out of this thing of ours..

Very interesting Loren!  Thanks for the video embed.  It's interestiong, this pope is considered one of the most traditional of popes in a long time.  So he does this, very nontraditional thing. I guess when it suits him, he can defy tradition.

My tendency to find conspiracies 'neath every bed leads me to the notion that the pope's visit to his butler's jail cell revealed that the letters the man had stolen from his boss had fallen into the wrong hands and that he was blackmailed into resigning, afraid that his hand in the pedophile priest scandals was going to be made public by some cut-rate Julian Assange.  While his palatial digs on a property adjoining the Vatican are not quite up to Castel Gandalfo, rest assured he will still enjoy his Chateau Neuf du Papa with his filet mignon and a glass of Chateau d'Yquiem for dessert.  This old Nazi will live in the lap of luxury and take many secrets with him when he kicks. 

seems quite plausible to me.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Future replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Scientists warn we are on the brink of the next major mass extinction event
9 minutes ago
DAN DANA posted a photo
10 minutes ago
Pat commented on Loren Miller's status
13 minutes ago
Profile IconDAN DANA, nice girl, KOUSTAV GUHA and 3 more joined Atheist Nexus
24 minutes ago
Randall Smith commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
35 minutes ago
Trick replied to Anthony Jordan's discussion Free Will [Sam Harris]
49 minutes ago
Trick replied to Anthony Jordan's discussion Free Will [Sam Harris]
1 hour ago
Sentient Biped commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
Loren Miller posted a status
"Has anyone else noticed that A|N links to comments aren't working? You get to the post, but not to the exact comment. Something's broke!"
1 hour ago
Loren Miller commented on Bertold Brautigan's blog post Do We Exist?
1 hour ago
Lord Ainsworth liked Freethinker31's blog post We Are Not Alone in the Universe
2 hours ago
Idaho Spud commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service