From what I've read most Catholics and others are impressed with Pope Frankie and his back to basics Christianity. No   Prada shoes, no bling, fire a couple of Bishops and Cardinals who love the bling,  wash some poor peoples feet and all will be right with the world. And then says: "no-one else has done more" to root out pedophilia than the Church". "The Church has acted with transparency and responsibility, yet it is the only institution to have been attacked"  And now this from the fucktard. 

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/06/pope-francis-is-wr...

Views: 173

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is awesome Pat! That is something to really be proud of! Both of my kids are Atheists as well!

Thank you, Melinda. I have every confidence you're just as proud of your children.

I do believe that after 9 years of marriage my wife and I are not together today because of a lack of children. She wanted a child. I just couldn't see me at 68 and raising one. Not again, and not today.

I found out Sunday that she is back in church again. That's another thing that isn't in my plans. How could I come this far and then go back to church? Why would I want to hear some other idiot's take on sermons that I myself might have also preparred? None of it makes sense.

I'm sorry Mike.  I agree with you on both counts. I really hope she decides church isn't for her and that maybe you could work things out.

Thanks, Mindy. I am guilty often of using my own situation in making or proving a point, and maybe I should stop that. My postings do show an openness in how I think and reason about things.

Don't stop Michael your openness helps us all to realize how important each of our life experiences are and we all learn from each other.

I agree with John, Mike. Your openness is a good thing!

Like Mindy, I agree with you -- happily child-free here. And I also hope the two of you work things out as well as possible, without you going back to church just to "get along".

I've heard many sermons where the biblical text or the church teaching is just a jumping-off point for the values the preacher wanted to expound on. (How often do different people use the same holy book to reach support diametrically opposite conclusions opinions!)

Much better to start with something like that "other" actual Good Book, A. C. Grayling's The Good Book: A Humanist Bible. (Some editions have the subtitle "A Secular Bible".)

It's an entirely secular scripture, composed from many hundreds of inspiring writings. In the familiar format, it contains the books of Genesis, Wisdom, Parables, Concord, Lamentations, Consolations, Sages, Songs, Histories, Proverbs, The Lawgiver, Acts, Epistles, and The Good. Unlike familiar religious scriptures, it has credits at the end. I've browsed it, and agree with Hiram that it lends itself beautifully for inclusion in humanist rituals, rites of passage, weddings, funerals, and so forth.

Thanks, Cat. A problem here is that I could never go back to Crutch. Not for any reason. (Yes, I did spell that correctly.)

For me, with a very, VERY bad dog allergy, the tendency for people have pets rather than children is a huge burden.  A whiff of a dog from a car makes me sick about 2 days (it used to be 5 days, it's gotten better).  It's mostly pet dogs that cause me problems.  Pet dogs in cars, because they appear at high speed and suddenly.  People take their dogs everywhere with them. 

I think I also have a cat allergy, but people don't take their cats with them everywhere, so cats aren't as big of a problem. 

And those damn baby carriages with dogs in them ... It doesn't happen that often - mostly baby carriages have babies in them.  But having encountered surprise dogs in baby carriages, I always look inside while holding my breath to check if it's really a baby inside. 

I hope I don't stay that allergic.  I'm getting intensive immunotherapy.  But while I am that allergic to dogs, the permeation of society by pet dogs makes a normal life impossible.  I take a big risk of getting sick when I go downtown, because it's crowded and there are a lot of dogs in cars and on the sidewalk.  So I avoid being downtown.  I don't go out on weekends or after working hours to avoid dogs; I make big detours around veterinary hospitals because many dogs in cars go by near them.  I've gotten sick from long busrides, even if there aren't any dogs on board, because of the dog dander on people's clothes.  I get allergic reactions from rental cars because they've all had dogs/cats in them.  Etc. etc. 

This happened to me because I was very sick for 4 years, living with my dog.  I didn't know why I was sick, so I had an allergic reaction that literally lasted for years.  In that time, I developed a very, very bad dog allergy. 

Associating with people rather than animals does have the advantage that people aren't allergic to other people. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service