Please contribute: what are the most objectionable/obviously outdated bits of the Bible?

As a lifelong atheist (I was lucky to have agnostic parents), my knowledge of the Bible is sketchy to say the least.
I'm collecting some possible lines of 'argument against theism' on my website and am interested in moral evolution as a demonstration of the irrelevance of religions (since they codify and reflect the moral and intellectual standards of the societies that produce them).
I'd be interested to see specific examples of particularly outdated moral and intellectual ideas contained in the Bible (or other religious texts - Qur'an etc. most welcome).
I've read bits of the Old Testament and it seems to be crawling with objectionable stuff, so please stick to fairly succint examples of how Christianity reflects outdated ideas and standards.
Thanks,
S

Tags: Bible, argument, atheism, debate, moral, theism

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

wow - love the sticker!
Kiran i just stole your great pix of the Warning Label bible!
Well there are the bits in the bible where the god character actively curses/punishes innocent people.

1] Blessed by the god character, or not; I always thought that the dishonest act of cursing(with help from the god character) ones own grandson and all his descendants who were not involved in seeing Noah drunk and naked was immoral, and not righteous on either the Noah or the god characters behalf. Genesis 9:1-28

2] Continuing on with punishing/cursing the innocent. I have been searching the bible for a reason/explanation as to why the god character actively cursed both the Pharaoh and his family(Gen 12:13-20) and then later King Abimelech, and the women of his house(Gen 20:1-18) for a half truth/deception on Abraham and Sarah part; when both the Pharaoh and Abimelech were innocent. And in each instance the god character withheld his hand from Abraham and Issac(Gen 26:6-31) when they both profited from their sins/lies.

3] Then there is the whole freewill example with Jonah. Jonah was commanded to go to Nineveh, but Jonah clearly did not want to go, and chartered a boat to Tarshish(different direction) instead. But instead of respecting Jonahs freewill/choice the god character stops him at sea, and traps him in a big fish for three days and three nights(Jonah 1:1-17). Whereby forcing Jonah (against his will which is later confirmed.(Jonah 4:1-2)) to go to the city of Nineveh.

4] Then there is the omniscient(all knowing) god character`s love/need/want for child sacrifice, as it knowing the future(as in; what would first come out of Jephthah house) still helped Jephthah defeat the Ammonites. (Judges 11:29-40) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt66kbYmXXk

5] There is also this example of the treatment of women/wives by supposedly men of god. (Judges 19:1-30)

6] Then there is the part where Elisha(with the help of the god character) send two she bears to maul/kill 42 children who were most likely telling the truth(2 Kings 2:23-24). - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFlrg22GjM8

I can literally go on for days, and I have not even reached the New Testament yet. ;O) But Stephen Moore is right the Skeptic's Annotated Bible(online) has a lot of what your looking for already marked and categorized. ;O)

Katalyzt
Brilliant - that's great stuff, thanks.
That was awesome!! Thanks Katalyzt!
I've always found the Sodom and Gomorrah story repulsive, especially when Lot is later referenced as a "righteous man" by Peter. And who can forget the sheer scale of murder described in Deuteronomy 7:1-4?

I once tried to count how many death sentences I ought to have according to the Bible. I lost track after 14.... oh and I apparently will also have my tongue cut off.
And there are the kids killed by a bear the dude in the sky sends for teasing a balding profit.
CLEARLY written by someone mightily insecure about their receding hairline...
This is great - please keep it coming. I've written up several of these as examples of outdated moral standards.
Any comments appreciated...
Nice write up. I like all that really sick stuff being so much easier to find...Thanks.
Yup - will keep adding as I go (and whenever I have the time...)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Luara replied to Pandarius's discussion When the solution is simple, God is answering. - Albert Einstein
51 minutes ago
Ted Foureagles replied to satyam dangi's discussion Do we need to change the entire spectrum of human civilization ?
56 minutes ago
Luara replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
The Devian replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Why Does Prince George Have Brown Eyes? in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Ted Foureagles replied to Kalista Whitney's discussion Was there a particular event in your life that contributed to you becoming atheist?
1 hour ago
The Devian replied to Brian Edward Croner's discussion Intelligent But Makes an Exception for Religion in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
A. D'Agio posted a photo
1 hour ago
anneshathaways posted blog posts
3 hours ago
satyam dangi replied to satyam dangi's discussion Do we need to change the entire spectrum of human civilization ?
4 hours ago
satyam dangi replied to satyam dangi's discussion Do we need to change the entire spectrum of human civilization ?
4 hours ago
Pandarius replied to Pandarius's discussion When the solution is simple, God is answering. - Albert Einstein
5 hours ago
Pandarius replied to Pandarius's discussion When the solution is simple, God is answering. - Albert Einstein
5 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service