Plan to compile a database of theist questions for atheists and our responses

Several of us from a number of atheist organizations are planning to put together a database containing the most frequent and most difficult questions or challenges that theists put to atheists along with our most cogent responses.  To collect as many of these questions as possible, I am asking the members of various freethinker organizations to forward to me the most frequent or challenging questions or accusations that theists have confronted you with. Please also send your responses to these along with some key words to the subjects so that they will be searchable by fellow atheists. Also, if you have suggestions as to how we can restrict access of the planned database to only freethinkers, please include your strategy for that. 

This is one way that we atheists, scattered as we are, can use our internet resources to significantly help each other.  When we keep illuminating the absurd logic and farfetched arguments of theists, we strengthen our position and make them start thinking like the rational and ethical people they really are.  Thanks for all your help!

Eric Stone, PhD
Westchester Atheists

Views: 51

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wouldn't mind helping out. Background in language, medicine and genetics so any of those I can solve. 

Also pretty handy religion wise owing to being an ex-hindu and familiar with three religious backgrounds.
Great!  We're at a fairly rudimentary stage now and have only about 60 questions.  But one thing we're thinking of doing is to divide the questions/challenges into logical categories and to also group the atheist responses to each question into quick and slow or analytical.  If you have any ideas of how better to organize or present them please advise.  If you send me your email address (mine is es35@nyu.edu), I'll forward our current spreadsheet.

Just saw that at PZ Myer's blog:

Ah, "stumper" questions. My favorites of all time:  

5. "How did males and females evolve separately? Hmmm?"

4. "So what happened before the big bang, hmmm?"

3. "So why is the Bible's order of species creation in Genesis correct, hmmm?"

2. "Who made you, then, hmmm?" --moment of sadness: this one came from my own mother.

1. "Then how does this chair, which weighs 10 pounds, support a  pastor like me, who weighs 300?" --I offered to answer him, because I  know the physics of that, and he said, "No, that's not the point..."

Of course. Getting an answer never is the point; the point is that they don't really want to know.

http://scienceblogs....comment-4081241

Great questions.  Did PZ list his answers too?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service