idea of a God system of belief. Replacing it with a religion based on
science, with Physics at its heart. It will offer solace to the average
man by explaining WHY he is here and MOST of the mysteries of life in
general. I say MOST as not only will science still have a lot to
discover, even then, but a little mystery adds spice to any religion. I
have listed some examples of their similarity below no doubt you could
add others:-

Both have a something from nothing type of instant universe creation,
the big bang on the one hand and 6 days on the other.

Both claim that the universe was created from forces beyond our
understanding, yet, forces that we will eventually understand.

Both enshrine their ideas of the forces involved in creation, in books
that are in the most part ambiguous to the average reader, requiring
interpretation from scientists/priests.

Both have experts in their field scientists on the one hand, priests on
the other, both preaching from privileged positions, their
interpretation of the word to the inferior masses below them.

Both have special buildings dedicated to their field of worship,
churches and labs.

Both have prophets who came before the master to preach the word and
prepare the way, Aryabhata, Dignaga, Dharmakirti, Alhazen, Sir Isaac
Newton, etc. for Physics and Yehoshua, Shmu'el, Isaiah, Moses etc for
the Christians.

Both had a messiah, a saviour or liberator to show them a new way Jesus
for the Christians and Einstein for the Physicists.

Both have an old and new verification of their greatness, in physics
old Mechanics, & new Relativistic mechanics & Quantum mechanics.
Christianity has the old testament and new testament. Plus many other
similar old and new writings in both fields all reinforcing each other.

Both have their commandments, in the case of Christianity the 12 off we
all know, I hope, and in Physics some of the most significant are
Conservation : Boyle's :Special Relativity : General Relativity :
Inertia : Heat Conduction : Gravitation: Coulomb's : Ohm's :
Kirchhoff's : Gauss's : Faraday's and Ampere's. Many others include
those in Quantum Mechanics etc but I will settle with these 12 for now
just to maintain a balance.

Both claim to predict the future using selected writings and the
reasoning
of their respective prophets to justify their claims.

Enough is enough, judge for yourself.

Views: 332

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All that you say is true, up to a point. eg # "All things in nature and the universe are real (not imagined)" "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one". Apparently Albert Einstein" But I must move on.
You say you are posting a question and would like it answered. Well here's your answer...

You’re wrong. I have never heard of a more ridiculous set of arguments in my life. Only someone who has absolutely no understanding of the scientific process could be so absurd.

Both have a something from nothing type of instant universe creation, the big bang on the one hand and 6 days on the other.

The Scientific community has never claimed that The Big Bang Hypothesis meant creating something from nothing. We don’t even entirely understand the first few moments after the Big Bang, let alone what may or may not have been here before the incident.

Both claim that the universe was created from forces beyond our understanding, yet, forces that we will eventually understand.

Many religions promise a future understanding of the universe as a ‘heavenly’ reward. Science, on the other hand, promises we will never completely understand everything. It would be impossible to fully understand everything.

Both enshrine their ideas of the forces involved in creation, in books that are in the most part ambiguous to the average reader, requiring interpretation from scientists/priests.

I would hardly call publishing scientific facts “enshrining ideas”... There’s a huge difference between documenting current scientific discoveries and interpreting 2000 year old scripts.

Both have experts in their field scientists on the one hand, priests on the other, both preaching from privileged positions, their interpretation of the word to the inferior masses below them.

Preachers are repeating what they have been indoctrinated to believe with nothing but faith and their own unproven beliefs to back them up. Preaching religion is about teaching your congregation not to question what they are taught. Teaching science is about teaching students to think. Teaching them to question everything, teaching them to develop hypotheses of their own and learn how to adequately test them and either prove or disprove them.

Both have special buildings dedicated to their field of worship, churches and labs.

What!? For one, Science isn’t a field of worship and to say so is incredibly insulting. Two... Where else would they do their experiments? At Starbucks? This one’s REALLY stretching.

Both have prophets who came before the master to preach the word and prepare the way, Aryabhata, Dignaga, Dharmakirti, Alhazen, Sir Isaac Newton, etc. for Physics and Yehoshua, Shmu'el, Isaiah, Moses etc for the Christians.

Prophets claim to have a direct link to god. Scientists are intelligent people capable of mathematics and scientific experiments?... This doesn’t even make any sense.

Both had a messiah, a saviour or liberator to show them a new way Jesus for the Christians and Einstein for the Physicists.

Science is about continuously trying to find a new way. Einstein was an exceptional man, but there have been many, and none of them are worshipped or blindly followed. They, like all other scientists, were required to provide proof of their hypotheses.

Both have an old and new verification of their greatness, in physics old Mechanics, & new Relativistic mechanics & Quantum mechanics.

Christianity has the old testament and new testament. Plus many other similar old and new writings in both fields all reinforcing each other.

Science is constantly evolving as man’s body of knowledge increases. This is in no way similar to the 2 versions of a 2000 year old book.

Both have their commandments, in the case of Christianity the 12 off we all know, I hope, and in Physics some of the most significant are Conservation : Boyle's :Special Relativity : General Relativity : Inertia : Heat Conduction : Gravitation: Coulomb's : Ohm's : Kirchhoff's : Gauss's : Faraday's and Ampere's. Many others include those in Quantum Mechanics etc but I will settle with these 12 for now just to maintain a balance.

How dare you compare rules that have been developed painstakingly by years of scientific testing to arbitrary commandments supposedly given to us by some omniscient super-being in the sky? I’m not a scientist, but if I was I would be really insulted.

Both claim to predict the future using selected writings and the reasoning of their respective prophets to justify their claims.

Science only predicts the future in the same way that we all know the sun will rise tomorrow because it has every other day. If something is true today, it will more than likely also be true tomorrow.

Based on your incredibly ridiculous observations, and the comments you've made in some of your replies, I can only conclude that you are probably a theist and your membership on this site should be revoked.
Methinks you protest to much.
What a trap! Bob has been using a zero sum argument to get everyone's panties in a wad! He has successfully predicted the response and drawn nearly everyone down the rat hole. It was not a question with associated "winning" arguments. He succeeds by breaking even (this would be called a draw in most game theory). Kudos Bob! The most frustrating arguments are the ones where the premise sets up one side's arguments to be used against itself. The original "Is physics the new religion?" is designed to start pro-physics anti-theist running for the "handbook". The easy answer is a resounding NO! The proofs supplied use semantics and vague interpretations to further obfuscate and confuse the issues. Nice work Bob. It is good to see that everyone who responded to this has really coherent arguments. No fundie site could even come close. Glad I found this place. It is questions like this that keeps us thinking.
How mischievious you are! Unmasking Bob spoils all the fun, both for respondents and Bob himself.

Let's try again: I have proof that God exists!
Keep on thinking, its what keeps you alive.
I not only do not think so, I do not hope so. If physics becomes dogmatized enough to be religion it would be useless.
Dogma is dangerous, and a scientific discipline that becomes dogmatic immediately ceases to be scientific. I believe I can safely say that dogma is the most central problem that religion poses to the safety of the human species, and is the most insidious characteristic that we are all learning to resist.
Greydon Square will kill many in regards to the debate of such science.
Sorry I have been away for a while on business. Just dropped in quickly "En passant" to state that in answer to my own question:- With mankind anything is possible, but I personally don't think that Physics will be the "new" religion. However, generally speaking, mentally mankind needs something bigger than himself to believe in and be part of, and if religion as we know it does disappear then I have absolutely no doubt that something, probably equally as foolish, will take its place. If one were to know exactly what that was likely to be then I am sure considerable power and wealth would be the reward.
Scientology.

Bleck.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Freethinker31 replied to Adam's discussion Political Ideology
6 minutes ago
Christian Soldier replied to Adam's discussion Political Ideology
9 minutes ago
Joan Denoo liked Deidre32's blog post Are you a spiritual atheist?
10 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Deidre32's discussion Happy Labor Day!
15 minutes ago
k.h. ky replied to Deidre32's discussion Happy Labor Day!
21 minutes ago
Deidre32 replied to Deidre32's discussion Happy Labor Day!
34 minutes ago
39 minutes ago
51 minutes ago
Deidre32 replied to Deidre32's discussion Happy Labor Day!
51 minutes ago
54 minutes ago
Patricia replied to Patricia's discussion Remember Being Told Not To Play With Your Food????? in the group Food!
56 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Patricia's discussion Remember Being Told Not To Play With Your Food????? in the group Food!
59 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service