I'm taking a philosophy of religion class in a few weeks at my local community college, just need it as a Gen Ed, and the teacher is supposed to one of the best at the school. I picked up one of the books today (class starts in a few weeks) and it instantly made me dread the class. It was FULL of the same tired-ass arguments for god's existence that I figured out were bullshit a looooooong time ago. "Where did everything come from, huh?" Pascals Wager, stuff like that. No negative commentary on them, either.

I don't want the class to make me go back to hating religious people, I got over that ahahahaha.

I guess I'm expecting to have to correct people the entire class, explain WHY the cosmological argument is total bullshit. I was honestly expecting a much deeper analysis...

Any tips for surviving? Twice a week, for 6 weeks. Teacher is supposed to be amazing, but still...

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry.  When I took World Religions in college (Years ago!), the teacher asked for a show of hands for each religion he named.  He was a Hindu.  I was the ONLY Atheist.  I was also the only one everyone stared at when I raised my hand.
Be proud - (you ain't no sheep!)
I'd use it as an exercise to test my own position. See if anything is said or taught which causes me to take pause. Other than that I'd just go along for the ride, without trying to cause a stir. I'd point out errors of logic, and fallacies by others, in a friendly and non-combative manner. I'd give opinion if asked, but not volunteer - only go ahead when there is a lead-in from someone else. Always be prepared to back up what I say with a good reasoned argument. Emphasise evidence and its interpretation.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

John Jubinsky posted photos
44 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
2 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
3 hours ago
Grinning Cat replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
3 hours ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
4 hours ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
4 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
4 hours ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
4 hours ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
4 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
4 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck commented on Loren Miller's blog post Is god good?
4 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
5 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service