American actor Alec Baldwin referred to Filipina women who marry U.S. nationals as mail-order brides. He made this statement as a "joke" in a comedy talk show seen across North America, and now can be seen on YouTube.

Alec Baldwin is an idiot. I lost all respect for him after a tape recording of a phone message he left for his daughter was made public last year; he insulted the child viciously and beyond what you'd expect a father and a balanced human being to ever do. Who does this guy think he is?

See the story below about the reaction from the Philippines to Baldwin's racist, sexist remark.

Philippines protests Baldwin's mail-order bride joke
http://uk.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUKTRE54J3LL20090520

MANILA (Reuters) - The Philippines has strongly protested a joke made by actor Alec Baldwin about getting a Filipina mail-order bride, describing it as "insensitive," Manila's foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

The Philippines said the labelling of women married to U.S. nationals as mail-order brides "is offensive and prejudiced," Cecilia Rebong, Manila's consul-general in New York, said in a letter sent to the actor on Tuesday.

Rebong said the Philippines is one of the leading countries in the world in eliminating the trafficking of women and children and that Baldwin's statement in a television interview gave the impression that Filipino women could still be categorized as commodities for sale.

"Being an actor and a comedian, it is understandable that you may not be aware of these matters," Rebond said in her letter to Baldwin.

"However, as a public figure, it is incumbent upon you to be sensitive to discriminatory statements, especially in a multicultural society as colourful, rich and diverse as that of the United States."

Women's group in the Philippines were also outraged after Baldwin's interview on the "The Late Show with David Letterman" last week was posted on the video sharing site YouTube.

Women lawmakers at the two-chamber Congress also protested against Baldwin's statements and demanded a public apology from the actor.

"Let us make it clear to the world, Filipino women are not for sale," Senator Loren Legarda said in a statement. "Not even for sale to Hollywood actors."

(Reporting by Manny Mogato; Editing by Raju Gopalakrishnan)

Views: 178

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Big Al doesn't take any shit from Scientologists.

I think Greg Garcia and Alec Baldwin should do a Celebrity Tag Team Death Match: Scientologists vs. PETAs. I may have to start another discussion all about my dream teams.
LOLOLOLO ROFL....I think his balls are to big , his mouth to huge, and his Atheism far to strong. But that's funny. Bravo Angie/

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Luara replied to Luara's discussion Nonbeliever's equivalent of wearing a cross
9 minutes ago
William Sams commented on William Sams's video
14 minutes ago
KIMBERLY K updated their profile
14 minutes ago
William Sams shared their video on Facebook
15 minutes ago
John Aultman liked Christine's discussion Praise Be Unto He........
20 minutes ago
KIMBERLY K liked Carrot Hare's discussion Atheists around the world! ASSEMBLE!
23 minutes ago
KIMBERLY K posted a status
"Thanks for the welcome comments. I came to reasoning after the silence of sexual assault and then reading the famous silly book. Now unlearn"
30 minutes ago
Luara replied to Luara's discussion Price increase without notice
42 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion The Answer to Problems in Iraq? (I don't think so!)
50 minutes ago
Emma Lennon replied to Luara's discussion Nonbeliever's equivalent of wearing a cross
53 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Luara's discussion Nonbeliever's equivalent of wearing a cross
56 minutes ago
DAN DANA posted a blog post
57 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service